amtindall

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone!
So I just brought home 6 chicks from TSC and at first they were doing great! Eating, drinking, etc. we found one to have pasty butt, and we quickly cleared all of the discharge, but now she’s still acting off.
When we disturb the brooder, she stays still. She acts lethargic, won’t eat or drink with the other chicks. She only drinks if I help her along with a dropper or a small amount in a bottle cap. She stays under the heat lamp (at 92 degrees) and she keeps gasping for air like she’s overheating. She also keeps acting like she’s trying to pass a stool, but all that comes out is white discharge.
I‘m getting super worried about her behavior and concerned on what to do next to help her. Please help!!

I would apply some oil to and inside the vent opening with a QTip. If you can also get her to drink some electrolytes and water as much as she can that might help. Coconut oil or olive oil can be good to give orally to help her pass the droppings. She may be failing, but I hope that you can get her to turn around. Many times when they show symptoms of shipping stress, it can be too late. If you should lose her, I would try to get the feed store to replace her.

Hi everyone!
So I just brought home 6 chicks from TSC and at first they were doing great! Eating, drinking, etc. we found one to have pasty butt, and we quickly cleared all of the discharge, but now she’s still acting off.
When we disturb the brooder, she stays still. She acts lethargic, won’t eat or drink with the other chicks. She only drinks if I help her along with a dropper or a small amount in a bottle cap. She stays under the heat lamp (at 92 degrees) and she keeps gasping for air like she’s overheating. She also keeps acting like she’s trying to pass a stool, but all that comes out is white discharge.
I‘m getting super worried about her behavior and concerned on what to do next to help her. Please help!!

Good you are so alert! I myself would treat for cocci. (I used to say "yea sure" but it happened to me and the chick was to the point of starving and not moving!

And I've had adults get cocci and an speaking with an animal disease vet told me I should treat chickens at least once a year for cocci as maintenance. Medicated feed is a preventative IMO and the immunization can work unless they are fed medicated feed.

If you can't tube feed, I would mix her feed with some cocci prepared water, and make a wet mush with it and her food.. and attempt to give her some and then stand her alone in front of a bit of some and wait and see if she finally goes for the food. But she needs the med, food and water. it's okay if everyone drinks the water you put out. Offer her the medicated water as well..

Back
Top Bottom