Sick chick or runt?

LanternFarmMN

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
Hello - we just got our very first batch of 50 chicks (ISA browns) in the mail last week on Thursday (5/9). I was told by several chicken farmers to expect a 5-10% mortality rate with a large batch of mailed chicks. We lost one chick on the second night, and we had two with pasty butt which we dealt with and had no further issues with that. Since then they have all mostly been doing well except for one little guy. They are significant smaller than the rest, they are not feathering out at the same rate as the rest. I have seen it eat and drink and I have not seen any other chick be mean to it, but in general it seems confused and befuddled by everything. When I'm changing water or food and the rest of the chicks are either running to or from whatever is happening it just stands there looking around wondering why everyone is making a fuss. It also always seems to be breathing heavy.
This has been going on for four days now and it has not died or gotten worse, but it is also not getting better. If it is just a runt that is fine, but if it's sick then I need to deal with it.

I will now give details about our setup but I ask for kindness since this is our very first set of chicks and I had not been expecting them as soon as I got them and thought I would have several weeks to get everything set up and instead had to prepare for their arrival in one week so things are not perfect and I'm learning.

They are currently in a 3' wide x 5' long x 2' high brooder in our basement (it is already getting too small for them so we are building a second this weekend and will be splitting them into two groups)
I am using the deep litter method and have been using aspen wood shavings as their bedding.
I have given them access to grit (both sand and gravel chips) since day one
I am feeding them Nutrena Nature Smart Organic Chick Starter free choice
I have also been feeding them mealworms and black soldier fly larva three times a day
I have also been giving them access to soaked alfalfa hay pellets
I have been adding just splash of organic apple cider vinegar to their water
I have three black ceramic heat sources for night time and a full-spectrum sun lamp (meant for reptiles) that we turn on for a few hours every day during the day to help them build a circadian rhythm.
There are windows in our basement so they also get natural light during the day.

So - sick chick or runt?

link to video to see the heavy breathing and how befuddled they are:

Attachments

• Runt1.jpg
    Runt1.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 47
Hello - we just got our very first batch of 50 chicks (ISA browns) in the mail last week on Thursday (5/9). I was told by several chicken farmers to expect a 5-10% mortality rate with a large batch of mailed chicks. We lost one chick on the second night, and we had two with pasty butt which we dealt with and had no further issues with that. Since then they have all mostly been doing well except for one little guy. They are significant smaller than the rest, they are not feathering out at the same rate as the rest. I have seen it eat and drink and I have not seen any other chick be mean to it, but in general it seems confused and befuddled by everything. When I'm changing water or food and the rest of the chicks are either running to or from whatever is happening it just stands there looking around wondering why everyone is making a fuss. It also always seems to be breathing heavy.
This has been going on for four days now and it has not died or gotten worse, but it is also not getting better. If it is just a runt that is fine, but if it's sick then I need to deal with it.

I will now give details about our setup but I ask for kindness since this is our very first set of chicks and I had not been expecting them as soon as I got them and thought I would have several weeks to get everything set up and instead had to prepare for their arrival in one week so things are not perfect and I'm learning.

They are currently in a 3' wide x 5' long x 2' high brooder in our basement (it is already getting too small for them so we are building a second this weekend and will be splitting them into two groups)
I am using the deep litter method and have been using aspen wood shavings as their bedding.
I have given them access to grit (both sand and gravel chips) since day one
I am feeding them Nutrena Nature Smart Organic Chick Starter free choice
I have also been feeding them mealworms and black soldier fly larva three times a day
I have also been giving them access to soaked alfalfa hay pellets
I have been adding just splash of organic apple cider vinegar to their water
I have three black ceramic heat sources for night time and a full-spectrum sun lamp (meant for reptiles) that we turn on for a few hours every day during the day to help them build a circadian rhythm.
There are windows in our basement so they also get natural light during the day.

So - sick chick or runt?

link to video to see the heavy breathing and how befuddled they are:
It could be both. I had a runt that did well for about 1 month, then she got sick, and in a day or two she died. She was a meat bird though, and in my experience meat birds are more likely to die young, and a runt like that might just turn out to be a weird smaller than normal bird.

When chickens start laying their eggs are usually smaller that they will be when she stops growing. Your small chick may have been laid by a young chicken who is laying small eggs.

So - sick chick or runt?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Runty I think.. but I don't understand why you're giving so many treats so early.

I'd stop with the majority of it.. and stick with chick starter.. The meal worms and BSFL are both very high fat. The alfalfa.. is gonna be lower protein, and amino acids.. etc.

All that other stuff is really enrichment more than nutrients.. and they shouldn't be that bored just yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's failure to thrive and the chick simply passes away one night, as even runts are usually active and eating well, just smaller or slower to grow.

Agree with EggSighted4Life, there's no reason to be giving the treats and extras when the feed should contain everything they need in balance for them to grow up optimally.

Splitting into 2 groups is a very good idea, it's too many chicks for the space and chicks housed in large groups are more prone to deaths from crushing and trampling. Assuming the 2nd brooder is big as the first, you're going to need to double up on space at least once more before they hit 4 weeks - I hope the coop is ready to go?

Sav-a-chick I think it's called, packets of electrolyte powder you mix in their water. If you get that stop the acv in the water for awhile.
It's sold at fleet farm and feed stores, and tractor supply.

Back
Top Bottom