Showing Silkies

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I am hoping to show some of my birds at the Kentucky State Fair this year. I have read the rules, and gotten my entry forms. On the entry form we need to enter the birds Brand/ear #. What is this? I do not have any sort of identification on my birds, because I can tell them apart. I am completely new at this and kind of lost :) What would the benefit joining the APA (I will be a junior exhibitor)? I have some chicks that will be 6 months old at fair time, should I also bring these?
Thank you

I am hoping to show some of my birds at the Kentucky State Fair this year. I have read the rules, and gotten my entry forms. On the entry form we need to enter the birds Brand/ear #. What is this? I do not have any sort of identification on my birds, because I can tell them apart. I am completely new at this and kind of lost :) What would the benefit joining the APA (I will be a junior exhibitor)? I have some chicks that will be 6 months old at fair time, should I also bring these?
Thank you

HI there.

Your birds will have to have a leg band number to be shown. Most feed stores will carry them. Even though silkies are small, you will need a standard sized leg band. THey are like $1 a piece or less and each bird will need their own. You have to put a band on them and use the number on the band for your entries. Without it, they cannot be shown. Usually birds just have to be over 4 months, so your younger birds can come too.

Are you just doing exhibition or showmanship as well?

Quote:
Ok ,I will get some leg bands to put on them. The bands are permanent, right? Does the band affect their leg feathering? I soo excited that I can bring the younger birds!!
I do not know if I am going to show in showmanship, there was nothing on the show entry form about that.
Thank you for your help!!

Ok ,I will get some leg bands to put on them. The bands are permanent, right? Does the band affect their leg feathering? I soo excited that I can bring the younger birds!!
I do not know if I am going to show in showmanship, there was nothing on the show entry form about that.
Thank you for your help!!

No they are not permanent. They kind of coil on. Mine have them on all the time right now and it hasn't seemed to affect their feathering on the legs.

Make sure you get the big ones though. Too tight would cause a problem on their leg feathers.

You are very welcome!
wink.png

Oh and also...it is a good idea to get 2 of the same number for each bird. They do break or fall of sometimes and it is good to have a backup. Some fairs will charge you if you have to change their number after submitting your entries. I just give each bird a number and buy backups of each of those numbers and keep them in a bag.

Thank you for the pointers! Do you use a size 9 on your hens? That is a great idea, for having a backup number.
thumbsup.gif

You know, I'm not sure what the size is. I will see if I can figure out what size they are and get back to you. YOu are welcome for the advice. Good luck at your fair!!

Back
Top Bottom