Show quality chicken?

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
This is my 12-week old langshan chicken (unsur of sex) that I purchased from Murray mcmurray hatchery. I was wondering if anyone thinks this bird could be show quality?

Attachments

• 3EC992F4-6793-4444-801F-4C631F53D708.jpeg
    3EC992F4-6793-4444-801F-4C631F53D708.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 22
A very pretty hen, but it would be best to get the SOP and check for their requirements for the breed. Any bird can be shown, just depends on the type of shows. 4-H all the way to the professional shows.

If you are interested, it would be worthwhile to attend a couple of shows and see just how they do it.

The 4H shows to my knowledge are for shomanship. Sure in heated competition a better quality bird would aid in better placement but showmanship is just that, your presentation and handling of your bird.

You train the bird to be handled. Learn how they require you to present, watch videos. Dress well for show, vest and tie. Present the bird and display your knowledge of that breed. The judging is on presentation, handling and knowledge conveyed.

So you see, the quality of bird of given breed really is not what is highlighted at a showmanship contest. There is separate youth contest for the caged birds that are judged.

What are your 4H show categories? My kid shows in Ohio 4-H, in the county fair. But different counties have different categories. In our county, showmanship is separate from the rest of the categories, but uses one of the chickens that have been entered by that 4-H kid.

The more your bird confirms to APA standards, the better it will do usually.

The 4H shows to my knowledge are for shomanship. Sure in heated competition a better quality bird would aid in better placement but showmanship is just that, your presentation and handling of your bird.

You train the bird to be handled. Learn how they require you to present, watch videos. Dress well for show, vest and tie. Present the bird and display your knowledge of that breed. The judging is on presentation, handling and knowledge conveyed.

So you see, the quality of bird of given breed really is not what is highlighted at a showmanship contest. There is separate youth contest for the caged birds that are judged.
Actually at my fair there is a seperate showmanship category and then a show for overall quality. Do you think the bird is good quality?

What are your 4H show categories? My kid shows in Ohio 4-H, in the county fair. But different counties have different categories. In our county, showmanship is separate from the rest of the categories, but uses one of the chickens that have been entered by that 4-H kid.

The more your bird confirms to APA standards, the better it will do usually.
Ours is the same. Do you think the bird is decent quality?

I'm not familiar with the Standard of Perfection for Langshan. I've got the book and will look it up for you if you like. There are free copies of 100 year old SOP online. Very little changes over the decades. For example the Plymouth rock change in 100 years is the angle of tail came down 15 degrees.

My gut is it is not of grand champion standard. That's only based on the source. Hatchery birds will not stack up to the SOP nor standard bred birds from breeders. It's just the way it is.

Think this link is free to read 1910 SOP-

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7075133M/The_American_standard_of_perfection_illustrated.

Back
Top Bottom