Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I'm thinking about making a table and some simple chairs or bench seats with all the pallet boards I have accumulated. I think the boards range between 19" to 26" long. Bench seats with no back would be easiest.
Ooo, that sounds like a fun project! I've been wanting to build a pallet board work bench for a while now. Looking forward to seeing what yoyou come up with

Ooo, that sounds like a fun project! I've been wanting to build a pallet board work bench for a while now. Looking forward to seeing what yoyou come up with
I'm checking out YouTube videos now. Found a couple of interesting ideas.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 10.30.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 10.32.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 10.36.24 AM.png

We have had three days of rain here, so I did not get too much done outside. I took the "down time" to finishing building another two half-sized 2X4 foot pallet wood raised beds to put alongside the back of my chicken run. My plan is to use the chicken run fence as a trellis for things like peas and beans.

I have four of those half-sized beds along the fence making 16 feet of potential use for climbing vine plants. I already have the first two beds planted with peas to grow up the fence. I plan on planting vine beans in the next two beds.

:tongue I mentioned some time ago that I purchased some inferior potting soil this year and my seed starting has been less successful than I had hoped. I will probably have to hit some of our stores and buy additional plants for my raised beds. I am kind of disappointed in myself, but my backup plan has always been to buy starter plants if my home starts fail. Having said that, I think I maybe have half my starts this year from my efforts at home. That's an improvement over last year, but less than what I was hoping for this year.

:idunno Maybe my true gardening talent is in making pallet wood raised beds! At least I am pretty happy with my raised bed builds. Too bad Dear Wife is only interested in growing flowers. She has the green thumb in the family. But she has not shown much interest in growing any food.

🤔 I also have to build some more pallet wood protective covers for some of my other beds. Something is getting into the raised beds and digging around in the topsoil/compost mix. I suspect it's squirrels, but it could be some big birds I guess. I don't think they would dig out transplants, but they seem to digging for the seeds.

Well, I just realized I never shared how the run came out. 😂
Ended up utilizing a 10'x13' space on the backside of my current run and built it directly into my fence, wall, and other run so that all I had to do was close up gaps and install a roof and door. Pretty happy with how it came out, I used pallet wood and reused fence boards to build everything except the supports.

20240329_185558.jpg

For the roof I used 2x4s I pulled off some nice pallets I'd gotten my hands on to frame it up, and a few fence boards as little cross bars, then supported it with six ft 2x4s. I bought a couple of ten foot sheets of roofing tin from my neighbor and used it to cover a section to provide shade and a dry space, and covered the rest with chicken wire.
(I also may or may not have thought the whole thing through when I was putting the framing together on the ground. :lau Finished putting it together, stood up and realized, 'aw hell, how the heck am I gonna get this up by myself?'... sheer will, some extra fence posts, and two hours of fenagling.) Attached it directly to the fence and used supports against the brick wall.

20240402_153815.jpg
20240418_135519.jpg
20240508_100821.jpg

I then also decided to use the roofs of the runs to create a rain-collected auto-watering system for the chickens and spent a day installing a gutter and rain barrel to collect rainwater during the wet season the wet season. It only took one storm to fill up a 60-gallon barrel, and I'm curious to see how long that will last.

20240508_100801.jpg

Then we slapped together a door, used a couple of latches for hinges when I couldn't find what happened to all the door hinges, and hung a couple of roosts.

20240523_115744.jpg

When it was finally done, I was able to quietly kidnap and move my little three-month-olds into their new run in the dead of night. But, hey, they're loving all the space!

20240523_115722.jpg 20240523_115717.jpg
20240511_173105.jpg

Is good to keep chickens in, but any predators can get in

But it looks great and a lot of work.
I figured someone would mention that. I'm in a very urban environment, only critters we have to worry about are cat and opossums. The cats could care less about the chickens and don't mess with chicken wire. My only real concern for the opossums potentially getting in is at the door. I'm intending on installing a couple of bolt latches on the door to have it better secured

I figured someone would mention that. I'm in a very urban environment, only critters we have to worry about are cat and opossums. The cats could care less about the chickens and don't mess with chicken wire. My only real concern for the opossums potentially getting in is at the door. I'm intending on installing a couple of bolt latches on the door to have it better secured
Suggestion: use a hasp instead of a bolt, the type you can turn the part a lock would go through. Slide a carabineer through. Raccoons can open bolts, so why not make it raccoon proof before they show up and decimate your flock? I had a raccoon wipe out my flock except for one that was brooding in a cage at the time.
IMG_20230223_180719444~2.jpg

⬆️⬆️⬆️
This is what I did with advice from BYC members.

Back
Top Bottom