Show me your dogs!

New pup. Another Old English Bulldog. A female for a house dog and breeding to my male later.
IMG_4924.jpeg
IMG_4903.jpeg
IMG_4913.jpeg

What color is she? Or is it not an accepted one?
It is called ticking. It is accepted in English bulldogs but I’ve never known it to be mentioned in Old English bulldogs one way or the other. Which that’s irrelevant to me. The UKC OEB standards disqualifies bulldogs with blue in the eyes, and I prefer them to have some blue, as its a sign of old Southern bulldog blood that predates the 1900s. My male has blue in his eyes.

I like them to conform to the historical records. I don’t really care about recognized breed standards in OEGs. Standards and shows are what messed up the original English bulldog. I want one of my bulldogs to look like it stepped out of an illustration from 1800.

It is called ticking. It is accepted in English bulldogs but I’ve never known it to be mentioned in Old English bulldogs one way or the other. Which that’s irrelevant to me. The UKC OEB standards disqualifies bulldogs with blue in the eyes, and I prefer them to have some blue, as its a sign of old Southern bulldog blood that predates the 1900s. My male has blue in his eyes.

I like them to conform to the historical records. I don’t really care about recognized breed standards in OEGs. Standards and shows are what messed up the original English bulldog. I want one of my bulldogs to look like it stepped out of an illustration from 1800.
Okay. It's a pretty color. I only mentioned the accepted color part because I know some colors don't seem to have names if they're not accepted for anything

Okay. It's a pretty color. I only mentioned the accepted color part because I know some colors don't seem to have names if they're not accepted for anything
Some people would call it a form of brindle and say the ticking is a sub-pattern within the overall brindle pattern. Others would call ticking its own color.

Any arguments or disagreements people may have about chicken breeds pales in comparison to the knock-down, drag-outs, that exist over bulldogs between breeders both across and within various sub breeds and lines. A lot of pride and money is tied up in the bulldog world, with most bulldogs of any breed starting at $1,200 a piece and going as high as $3,500.

Almost all bulldog enthusiasts, myself included, easily get self-righteous about this or that trait. Some get hung up on colors. I don’t care about colors as much beyond having a preference for variances of white (the traditional southern bulldog color) or fawn. I’ve kept a fawn bulldog in some fashion for the past 25 years. What I do get hung up on is physique, toughness, and temperament. They should be athletic, healthy, free-breathing dogs that can take extreme heat well. If they can’t, they’re poor specimens. They should also have as safe a temperament as possible, notwithstanding that the historical old English bulldogs were very dangerous dogs. I’ll climb my high horse and fight a circle saw whenever the “its how you raise them” argument starts to drop to explain bulldog aggression. No, its in their genes.

This is rocky my corgi chihuahua. Much more corgi personality than chihuahua. I resued him from the shelter and he was immediately a family fit. So smart and obedient.

Attachments

• 20230523_133802.jpg
    20230523_133802.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom