Should I open chicken coop window in 2 degree weather?

Oct 14, 2021
I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to open the chicken coop window in this freezing weather. They have a little bit of ventilation in the top of the walls but not nearly as much as there should be, so I usually open their big window. It's not pointing directly at any of them but it is on the same level as one of the roosts in the corner. Please advise.

Would you post some pictures of your setup?
Also, generally speaking, what part of the world are you in? I'm wondering how cold is cold.
I live in new england. I'll post the pictures soon. I'm debating on if I should even let the chickens out at all cause in this weather it hurts to breathe but I don't know if chickens' biology is different and it wouldn't effect them like that

Would you post some pictures of your setup?
Also, generally speaking, what part of the world are you in? I'm wondering how cold is cold.
I'm sorry for how blurry they are, I had to take them in a hurry so the chickens wouldn't escape the run.

As you can see there are two windows, I usually open the dark one on the right because the other is hard to access. One of their perches is in the corner between the two windows. The only vents in the coop are those gaps between the roof and wall over the bright window and they're covered in chicken wire. We have 8 chickens and all are hardy breeds, I just wasn't sure if opening the window would help prevent comb frostbite or if it would make things worse. (There's also some wind)

Attachments

• coop2.jpg
    coop2.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 8
  • coop1.jpg
    coop1.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm sorry for how blurry they are, I had to take them in a hurry so the chickens wouldn't escape the run.

As you can see there are two windows, I usually open the dark one on the right because the other is hard to access. One of their perches is in the corner between the two windows. The only vents in the coop are those gaps between the roof and wall over the bright window and they're covered in chicken wire. We have 8 chickens and all are hardy breeds, I just wasn't sure if opening the window would help prevent comb frostbite or if it would make things worse. (There's also some wind)
We are in SE Mass. Our coop has gotten down to negative Fahrenheit a few times. The girls did OK.This current cold spell is not that extreme. Let them decide where they wish to spend the day. When they go out, they are at least out in relatively dry cold.
Current Foxborough temp is 15F with relatively humidity 34%. The coop is about the same.

I'd be far more worried about the humidity and ventilation in the coop than the temp. If the humidity is good and they have proper ventilation without a breeze directly on the birds then the birds will keep them self warm.
Okay. Thanks for your reply, I decided this morning to open the windows and let them out after reading another forum about it.

Back
Top Bottom