Should I get a goose?

How large is your chicken yard? Are you located where grapes will grow?
Here's a thing about hawks, if you have coverings over the run the hawk will be less eager to dive into the space. While a small hawk, like an American Kestrel will happily dive under trees to take small prey, larger hawks will be more cautious about getting into something that can potentially entangle their wings and cripple them or where they can't see clearly.
I planted a giant grape arbor over my entire chicken run. 24 ft by 15 ft by 8 ft high. Yes, it really is that big. Too big to get a full photo of.
I attached two photos of part of the arbor, one with a couple of my hens under it.
I never lost a single hen to hawks after the grape vines fully covered the arbor, but I did lose one early riser to a great horned owl.
The grapes were delicious, I got hundreds of pounds of grapes off it. and my hens were delighted to have shade and protection as well as thrilled to clean up every low hanging or dropped grape.
Just remember to train the vines up and over the arbor and never cut the vines down too low so you keep the protection even in winter when there's no leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_091106477 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200725_091106477 (1).jpg
    828 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200725_090932883_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200725_090932883_HDR.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 5
I ordered straight-runs of dual purpose chicks (Murray McMurray) and Buff goslings (Welp) to raise together in the end of May. The purpose was to have the nicest mating pair of the geese for guarding the flock and rehome/eat the rest. I want to have the whole group mobile during the warm months in a good sized "tractor" and Premier1 netting, then housed together like you have described in the cooler months. My issue will be in spring when/if they decide to engage in the mating season. I know they will probably have to be 2+ years to breed, but I wonder if the aggression is still there.
My flock is about a year old. They will start breeding as soon as they start seeing how pretty the goose ladies are in the pool, birds are frisky like that no matter the kind. You might even get a few eggs in the fall and viable ones the first year, we’ve already hatched 12 in the incubator. They won’t be fully mature until the second year, so they’re kind of dummies about the whole nesting thing. We have Toulouse, Embden, and one Brown Chinese, and so far no problems with aggression. If you respect their space and they know you’re top dog they should be fine unless you happen to get a real jerk, luck of the draw.

My flock is about a year old. They will start breeding as soon as they start seeing how pretty the goose ladies are in the pool, birds are frisky like that no matter the kind. You might even get a few eggs in the fall and viable ones the first year, we’ve already hatched 12 in the incubator. They won’t be fully mature until the second year, so they’re kind of dummies about the whole nesting thing. We have Toulouse, Embden, and one Brown Chinese, and so far no problems with aggression. If you respect their space and they know you’re top dog they should be fine unless you happen to get a real jerk, luck of the draw.
I'm more worried about the aggression towards the roo's and their ladies. Considering that your breeds do well, having a Buff should be a breeze! :fl

Here's my reasoning, over the past two weeks a large red tailed hawk has been attacking the covered run and freaking out the hens 3-6 times per day. Due to this the egg production has been down because of the stress they've had. As well as us not being able to range them outside the smaller covered like we used to because the rooster do nothing to protect the hens. Because of not being able to range them on plants and bugs the feed cost is up and if we let them out the hawk will kill them. I've been thinking about a watchdog/guardian for them because there have also been foxes as well, I came upon geese. I'm thinking about a tufted roman but I have never had geese and can't find anywhere where I can get one gosling. How do you care for geese and any ideas where I can get just one?
you know what to do about the predator

hmmm. I wouldn't like a goose or geese bullying my flock. I would be more inclined to get another rooster. If you live within driving range of Plymouth ME there is a lady who has a rooster rescue. she has lots of roosters to choose from and prolly knows which ones are protectors. she would also take yours off your hands.

Feel-N-Froggy Farms​

https://www.facebook.com/lauren.pri...RqgAj3syq3OW_iJIvuit7nFvKCXhrkTw&__tn__=<,P-R

Lauren Elizabeth shared a post.​

9Oc0to1betr1i S9711n, 420e21 ·

https://www.facebook.com/114934593696932/posts/360001549190234/

hmmm. I wouldn't like a goose or geese bullying my flock. I would be more inclined to get another rooster. If you live within driving range of Plymouth ME there is a lady who has a rooster rescue. she has lots of roosters to choose from and prolly knows which ones are protectors. she would also take yours off your hands.

Feel-N-Froggy Farms​

https://www.facebook.com/lauren.prinkey?__cft__[0]=AZVb-DOIQtAUOakEgEPCBMyzl09WroUbbPEY-FGmhvHqYsD5RDcTDI1Wg0TKdAVq4SHKr7t21pZoImQbAtCjS4mljxY8K3EXZ8351ejO1YDy5oMWojhE8e4aCor8qZwxwOIyWNcGGlih9mRqgAj3syq3OW_iJIvuit7nFvKCXhrkTw&__tn__=<,P-R

Lauren Elizabeth shared a post.​

9Oc0to1betr1i S9711n, 420e21 ·

https://www.facebook.com/114934593696932/posts/360001549190234/
Thanks but I'm in Georgia. I now have two roosters who are friendly towards me but I haven't tested their protection instincts yet.

Back
Top Bottom