Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Headed up north to lake george for the weekend...I am 2 ordering if I under feed my girls right now after reading. I use a 50 lb of layer pellets in like7 weeks weeks with 23 birds (if the neighbor is here its only 25 birds at any time including the chicks about to hatch lol) I keep catching my dogs trying to eat it lately because the chickens tend to be off wandering the yard while the dog checks out the coop for free chicken food. Now they also get like a flat of strawberry tops every day courtesy of the local baker. They get scraps from the garden as treats. I always thought the chicks go through food so fast and I assumed it was because they don't free range usually. Anyone ever weigh their girls? I'm always curious to see their weight ...now I really am. The only one I actually make a point of "over feedinng" is my cross beak because she always feels light to me when I trim her beak.

Sally, if it's there and they're not eating it... it's because of all the other offerings available. believe me, they would eat it if hungry. mine don't get free range choices all the time as I control free range, but now that the weather is nicer, feed lasts about twice as long. I've not weighed any of my birds, but can tell how hefty they are when I hold them. Fannie is hernia material. the rest feel "normal", some are heavier than others...

I found something adorable under mama today !

So I'm sitting here at work and all I can think about are my Chickens and ducks and wondering if there will be an egg when I get home. I'm betting not

Last edited:
Oh dear, a deer? Do you think it's just there for the day, or has something happened to mama?

We had a mama and fawn sleeping under the apple tree out front. One day the doe showed up completely mangled, hit by a car probably. Called the animal control out to put her down, but they didn't do anything about the fawn.
sad.png
I tried to corral and catch it, but no way. It was around for a couple of days, but then disappeared. Local bobcat probably got it.

Back
Top Bottom