Should freshly laid eggs rest/cool before incubating?

Manningjw

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Shoreline, Washington
I am about to set eggs in the incubator and wanted to put in today's eggs as well because I needed a couple more. Should I let them cool down to room temperature first or can I toss them directly into the bator still slightly warm from being laid?

I searched the forum but couldn't find this specific question. I know that shipped eggs should rest but i imagine that is because they are jostled around in the shipping process and you need the air cells to recover.

You can toss them in straight from the hen. When birds let their eggs cool (prior to incubation) it is because they want to gather up whatever amount of eggs and then have them all hatch at the same time. This is basically what we do when we keep eggs cool until we are ready to incubate. We are gathering up the amount we want, and then "setting" them all at the same time so that they hatch together. So, if you are ready to roll and have the eggs you want, put them all in. The ones straight from the hen might even have a head start by a couple hours if the others are significantly cooler.

Thanks for all the replies! I set the eggs now :).

I have been storing the eggs in my house the last week and turning them as much as 3-4 times a day, our house has been on the cool side, hopefully cool enough, about 60-68 degrees unless I light a fire and the oldest egg is about 8 days old, so hoping I get a decent hatch in 21 days!

Sounds like you are off to a great start!! Good luck with the hatch. I am finding out, as we speak, that being patient on hatch day is the hardest part.
barnie.gif

It my hatch day tomorrow. First time ever. I'm so nervousness
Wish you the best of luck!

I am sure you already know but don't expect them all to make it, and don't be surprised with losses in the hatching phase. I one fully formed chick that pipped but died in the egg afterword, it looked as if she had eviscerated her yolk sack or something hatching.

Back
Top Bottom