Shipping Hatching Eggs

I personally, don't care about NPIP. With the certification, you are obligated to buy only from NPIP certified hatcheries, etc. and to me, this doesn't seem fair. But I understand the reasoning behind it. I've looked into NPIP here in my state, and am willing to become NPIP certified. I am so willing because it's a safety measure for ME. I have been contemplating on selling hatching eggs on EBay, but I don't know the kind of people that may buy from me. What if someone bought from me and then tries to say that I infected them or their flock with typhoid or avian influenza? What if they try to sue me? At least, if I have an NPIP cert. and I comply with the restrictions of buying only from other NPIP cert breeders, I am keeping myself safe from any legal issues that could arise. Really, I think you are only going to have issues with these diseases if you are a large scale commercial distributor with unsafe and dirty housing conditions. But what if? Better safe than sorry, IMO. Plus, I've got nothing to hide. The cost for me to be NPIP certified is around $25 annually and THEY come to me to test my birds.

Thank you for even making this post. I know it was over a year ago. And I would also like to thank those who think following the rules are silly or irrelevant. Look at us now, now we have AI from people not having their birds tested and shipping when they shouldn't.

I know this discussion is old, but doesn't anybody know the regulations for shipping eggs in the state? I have several people in the state I live in that would like my to ship, but I dont have an NPIP license. Do you have to have an NPIP/health certificate to ship in state?

I know this discussion is old, but doesn't anybody know the regulations for shipping eggs in the state? I have several people in the state I live in that would like my to ship, but I dont have an NPIP license. Do you have to have an NPIP/health certificate to ship in state?
Without knowing what state you are in, it is impossible to answer your question. Every state has their own regulations and at least one state says they require NPIP for in state sales. I know that states can be very large but it is far better to have the eggs picked up rather than by being shipped. Once you ship the eggs neither you nor the recipient have any control over the conditions that the eggs are subjected to.

https://www.animallaw.info/administ...rements-governing-entry-livestock-poultry-and

NPIP for your state:
http://www.aad.arkansas.gov/poultry-health-programs

I can only speak for Texas but (I love this topic and I have been contacting each state regarding exact NPIP requirements per state.)
I wanted to share with you that in the state of Texas in order to legally sell hatching eggs with in our state the eggs MUST originate from a PT tested flock.
If I want to mail hatching egg or sell them on Facebook or Craigslist or on the street corner...they have to be from a PT tested flock. (Legally)
NOT NPIP but PT tested for sure.

Each state has their own requirements for selling hatching egg, eating eggs, and live birds with in their own state.

I haven't read the whole thread just yet but I'd also like to remind everyone that each state has their own rules.
Some states do NOT required you to be NPIP in order to ship into their state.
Some states only required PT testing and a CVI from a vet.
Some states require both PT testing and AI testing.

These requirements change for each state pretty often and the main NPIP informational website is not always up to date.
It is always best to contact the state department directly and not trust what you read on that NPIP site, regarding import requirements.

https://www.animallaw.info/administ...rements-governing-entry-livestock-poultry-and

NPIP for your state:
http://www.aad.arkansas.gov/poultry-health-programs

I can only speak for Texas but (I love this topic and I have been contacting each state regarding exact NPIP requirements per state.)
I wanted to share with you that in the state of Texas in order to legally sell hatching eggs with in our state the eggs MUST originate from a PT tested flock.
If I want to mail hatching egg or sell them on Facebook or Craigslist or on the street corner...they have to be from a PT tested flock. (Legally)
NOT NPIP but PT tested for sure.

Each state has their own requirements for selling hatching egg, eating eggs, and live birds with in their own state.

I read through the article and it didn't say anything about having to have a tested flock to ship eggs/chicks within the state. Does that mean AR doesn't require you to have a license to ship in-state?

I read through the article and it didn't say anything about having to have a tested flock to ship eggs/chicks within the state. Does that mean AR doesn't require you to have a license to ship in-state?
I am not sure about your state.
You need to check with your local chicken authorities. In the states of Texas you don't have to be NPIP in order to sell and or ship hatching eggs within the state but you do have to be PT tested.

Back
Top Bottom