Shipped eggs, Air cells, and Hatch-a-long

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
I recently bought 18 eggs from a Dutch bantam breeder. I have never hatched shipped eggs before. Some of the air cells are "saddled" and others are not attached. I have read that you have to put these eggs in egg cartons on day 18. But what about beforehand? Do they need a different humidity? Should I put them in the egg turner?

The plan is to keep the humidity at 45 to 50%. Temp at 99-100F.

Just looking for help and suggestions. :)

I must admit, I've never incubated saddled air cells.
Some people recommend keeping them fat end up for days.
But what I do know is how critical it is to turn frequently the first two weeks of incubation.
Even kept fat end up, I don't know how that air cell could make its way back between the inner and outer membrane and in my mind, the inner has obviously broken.
The humidity shouldn't change.
99.5 is appropriate so I may want to keep it above 99F.

Last edited:
They'll be in an egg turner which turns the eggs 3x every hour or something.

Edit: It's 1 full rotation every 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
image-20200105_154529.jpg

Eggs just went in!

Hey there!!!!! I just ordered 30 mixed eggs blue, Bluegreen, greenish, pinkish, brown, light brown, white..tinted Olive all different colors:love I'm very excited I haven't hatched my own eggs in about 10 years I hope I don't mess anything up..... the only issue is I don't have an egg turner which works out okay since I'm home for a month because of a procedure Im having!!!! ...... I ordered the eggs on Sunday I should be getting them sometime this week I still didn't get I'm tracking number probably because getting them fresh and sending them out that day....they are 2 states over.. I have five leghorns myself and a buff orpington rooster I felt sorry for I'm getting a couple eggs a day now that it's winter I was thinking of maybe putting a couple in there to see what happened, what do you all think? I just hope I don't end up with too many roosters..:fl but I'm very excited yippie!!!!:woot

I just got eggs in the mail 4 days ago and left them rest for 24 hours before I put them in the incubator. I’m on day 3 now so not sure if I’ll see much if I candle them yet but I didn't know there could be something wrong with the air sac I’m new to hatching chickens how can I check if mine are saddled?

Back
Top Bottom