Share your RUMPLESS chickens!

There are breeds of chickens that are supposed to be rumpless according to breed SOP. The most popular breed is the Araucana. They have a website that explains breed standards and accepted colors. www.araucana.net
There are different breed standards in different countries. I believe in the U.S. birds should be rumpless, but in the UK it is acceptable if they have tails.

Here is a photo from araucana.net of an Araucana showbird.
I have one that looks exactly like this one. No rump feathers at all.

If you have a rumpless chicken, please feel free to share it here. It doesn't matter if it is a purebred, an Araucana, or a barnyard mix. Post photos of them all! Also post concerns, questions, health issues related to being rumpless, etc.

I've looked all over the forum and have not been able to find a rumpless thread. I hope we can enjoy share our birds together!
big_smile.png

Attachments

• DB922BF0-5D15-4291-83E8-A0FDD1F3C4DC.jpeg
    DB922BF0-5D15-4291-83E8-A0FDD1F3C4DC.jpeg
    804.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A3860E2C-ED69-4503-A6D6-CC35FA6AC92D.jpeg
    A3860E2C-ED69-4503-A6D6-CC35FA6AC92D.jpeg
    648.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DF275E30-3D2A-4063-973F-171CD18042BA.jpeg
    DF275E30-3D2A-4063-973F-171CD18042BA.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 12
This is my girl Cinnamon, came to us in November after a sudden loss left us with only one chicken. Just started laying in early December so I figure she's a hatch from this spring but no idea what she is exactly. Lays brown eggsView attachment 2941753View attachment 2941754View attachment 2941755View attachment 2941755
I'm glad I found this post! I have a rumpless chicken that came from a batch of chicks (50), which was a mixture of Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, EE, and Copper Marans. All were from the same backyard breeder, and all healthy. I had no idea this 'rumpless' was a thing until I just came across the term and googled it/wound up here. I will try to take a pic and post it.
She is about 6 months old, and healthy, and of course I named her half-ass*d... At least she is easy to pick out of the crowd! lol
She is similar looking to your bird :)

What exactly is rumpless? Just lack of tail feathers?
If you have a rumpless chicken, please feel free to share it here. It doesn't matter if it is a purebred, an Araucana, or a barnyard mix. Post photos of them all! Also post concerns, questions, health issues related to being rumpless, etc.

I've looked all over the forum and have not been able to find a rumpless thread. I hope we can enjoy share our birds together!
big_smile.png
0C563EEF-E0B7-49F4-B3A7-FE46B994B2AD.jpeg

So from what I’ve read, there are two categories of rumplessness: accidental and genetic. I have raised d’Anvers for a long time and have never (before 2023) hatched rumpless birds. My self blues I acquired in 2015 and started with just an hen and have interbred them with my blacks (which I have linebred since 2001). Long story short, I have exposed just about all the possible recessive genes through brother sister progeny testing (no I don’t advocate brother sister matings, but I will employ these matings to reveal traits or weaknesses and I typically do not continue forward with these offspring - but the results help me know the strengths and weaknesses of the parents as breeders and help me decide if I want to add them to my breeding pool) already so there are only two real options: 1. These birds are accidental rumpless or 2. I had a de novo mutation in my closed lineages. The black pair were on an egg tray my toddler jostled before incubation and they are both completely missing their Pygostyle. I think it is entirely possible that they are accidental rumpless. The black male is from my self blue subline and the black pullet is from my blacks with no self blue ancestry.

I hatched 850 chicks this year, so 2 out of 850 from seemed plausibly accidental. They are not likely to pass on the rumpless characteristics.

But then I had a strange addition in one of my July hatches. I had hatched out a group of self blue d’Anvers chicks for a buyer and had kept one. It was the largest, and I had assumed, incorrectly, that it was likely a male, and I was hoping I would get a Cockerel that I could use this year. Instead, it turned out to be a rather blocky large female that is an incomplete rumpless. Her back is good and flat and straight but her Pygostyle is incomplete and there is no uropygial gland (no preen/oil gland), only 8 tail feathers instead of 14, and those feathers point down and the pullet seems to have no musculature to hold them up. So, that is not a typical description of accidental rumpless. She was from a different batch of eggs that had no known trauma than the blacks. She may have the same mother as the black rumpless male.

Anyway, I intend to test breed her to see if there was a mutation- but in the mean time I thought perhaps other people would be interested in these unusual occurrences that all seemed to hatch out the same year. I have been raising chickens since 1990, by the way.
Between 2000- 2022 I hatched out an average about 150 chicks a year and this is still a first. And I now have 3!!!

I have yet to see how they perform in a breeding pen, but otherwise, they seem happy and healthy and well adjusted. I have noticed the black pullet is prone to accumulating poop on her stern feathers below the vent. I would guess this might be common. Otherwise I don’t see any issues.
IMG_9358.jpeg
IMG_9332.jpeg
71867201334__E28352DB-1B14-410C-B608-D14F9D7651FA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom