Sexing chuckers

No.
I know you can vent sex cot. Quail that are not feather sexable. is it the same for chuckers?
I have no idea. I was asking @MGG if she has any experience sexing them. I know that she has/had them.

I've never had chukars. I was just trying to tag someone that may be able to help

I have no idea. I was asking @MGG if she has any experience sexing them. I know that she has/had them.

I've never had chukars. I was just trying to tag someone that may be able to help
Thanks for the tag.

@Jaybird14 , usually the only way to accurately sex them is by vent sexing, once they're older.

Around 4-5 months the males get much thicker than females, and they have a more square-shaped head. Females are generally smaller and have a more round head shape. But there's always thicker females and thinner males so it isn't a very reliable method.
Around 8 months the males also get spurs, but females can get spurs too so also not a very reliable method.

To vent sex adult Chukars, turn the bird upside down, press with your thumb and index fingers at the genital area. If you see a point, it is a male. If you see an oval or circle, it is female.
Again, this only works in adult birds. But it's the method I would recommend. If you watch closely during breeding season you can also see your hens go to their nests and lay eggs sometimes.

Thanks for the tag.

@Jaybird14 , usually the only way to accurately sex them is by vent sexing, once they're older.

Around 4-5 months the males get much thicker than females, and they have a more square-shaped head. Females are generally smaller and have a more round head shape. But there's always thicker females and thinner males so it isn't a very reliable method.
Around 8 months the males also get spurs, but females can get spurs too so also not a very reliable method.

To vent sex adult Chukars, turn the bird upside down, press with your thumb and index fingers at the genital area. If you see a point, it is a male. If you see an oval or circle, it is female.
Again, this only works in adult birds. But it's the method I would recommend. If you watch closely during breeding season you can also see your hens go to their nests and lay eggs sometimes.
Awesome!!
thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom