Sevin Dust and Spray: Is it safe?

What veggies is it no longer on-label that used to be on-label use? I had not heard of any changes for plant use, just on chickens.
The list of items removed from the label is long... Several type of peas I think? Also no longer labeled for use in domestic pets I'll see if I can find that.

@DwayneNLiz , you remember all the carbaryl stuff we searched for?

Edited to replace livestock with domestic pets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'll copy parts if anyone wants to read it.

no Carbaryl (active ingredient in Sevin) in wheat, millet, cotton, and fresh/succulent shelled beans and peas ; preplant drench or dip treatments of seedlings or seed pieces; use on poultry or in or on poultry premises/dwellings; all use on pets (dogs, cats and other pets) except for flea collars, use on pet premises, use in or on pet sleeping quarters; and all indoor
applications. These requests would also terminate the use of dust
formulations in or on agricultural crops, application of granular
formulations to leafy vegetables (except Brassica), ultra-low volume
(ULV) applications for adult mosquito control, and all applications by
backpack sprayers.

So none at all on shelled beans and peas. No dry powder form on certain greens but the liquid spray form is OK. Other than flea collars no use of any around poultry or pets.

That still leaves a lot of veggies on-label so I'll keep mine. if I had a chicken lice or mite problem I'd probably reach for the Sevin too.

Hi all....long time lurker here, now just starting to post. I saw this one and it's something I can actually post about. I'm here in the Northeast and grew up seeing the parents use Sevin Dust on our chickens. I started up with my own chickens about 4 years ago (and 35+ years later!) and immediately went for what I knew....the Sevin Dust. I have Bantams and it's worked great with lice and other creepy crawlies. I have not had any chickens react badly to it or have seen any ill effects. I do agree with the dust mask though...I learned that lesson the hard way :sick

Hi all....long time lurker here, now just starting to post. I saw this one and it's something I can actually post about. I'm here in the Northeast and grew up seeing the parents use Sevin Dust on our chickens. I started up with my own chickens about 4 years ago (and 35+ years later!) and immediately went for what I knew....the Sevin Dust. I have Bantams and it's worked great with lice and other creepy crawlies. I have not had any chickens react badly to it or have seen any ill effects. I do agree with the dust mask though...I learned that lesson the hard way :sick
Glad to see you posting!

Back
Top Bottom