Second Time Hen Hatcher Needs Help!

Greatauntbleach

Hatching
Apr 18, 2020
Hi. I'm new to hatching. Just completed my second batch with a poor success rate of 4 out of 20 😔

A few questions I need help with please :

(1) Two chicks broke through the shell to create their air holes then died? Any idea why they died and should I have stepped in after a period of time to assist ?

(2) We were due thunder the night they were hatching, someone told me the static in the air from the potential storm can affect the humidity in the incubator even though the incubator showed the correct humidity? We had a heap of rain too. This might have caused the poor hatching by increasing humidity?

(3) We live half a mile from the sea, should I run the incubator at a lower humidity because of this ? I run it at 50 -55% up to Day 18 and 65% after that.

(4) Is it best to keep the incubator indoors or in an outbuilding ?

(5) What is the best incubator to buy for small hatching of up to 20 eggs? The one I have is pictured and I'm not sure if my problems are down to the incubator? Does anyone else have problems with it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200421_080452.jpg
    20200421_080452.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi. I'm new to hatching. Just completed my second batch with a poor success rate of 4 out of 20 😔

A few questions I need help with please :

(1) Two chicks broke through the shell to create their air holes then died? Any idea why they died and should I have stepped in after a period of time to assist ?

(2) We were due thunder the night they were hatching, someone told me the static in the air from the potential storm can affect the humidity in the incubator even though the incubator showed the correct humidity? We had a heap of rain too. This might have caused the poor hatching by increasing humidity?

(3) We live half a mile from the sea, should I run the incubator at a lower humidity because of this ? I run it at 50 -55% up to Day 18 and 65% after that.

(4) Is it best to keep the incubator indoors or in an outbuilding ?

(5) What is the best incubator to buy for small hatching of up to 20 eggs? The one I have is pictured and I'm not sure if my problems are down to the incubator? Does anyone else have problems with it?

Thanks in advance!
I'm a total newbie too so have no advice sorry, but wanted to send you a virtual hug. Folk here are very helpful so am sure you'll get answers you need :)

Back
Top Bottom