Scorpion issue

I be surprised if the chicks do not try to eat the scorpion. Mine at only a few days old will take in adult female Chinese Mantids which put up a major fight until key parts are lost then you have a bunch of chicks with full crops. The chicks do get dinged up a little but they seem to think effort is worth it. They will go after more when their crops empty.

Depends which type (how poisonous) the scorpion is.

We are inundated with highly venomous bark scorpions here and the chickens will gladly eat them like candy. As long as they can get them without being stung first, which usually results in a dead or very sick chicken. 99% of the time the poultry win that game.

We also have the big black scorpions (the name escapes me) which the chickens seem to play with for a while before eating, as if they know the thing won't hurt them if stung.

If it moves, it will be eaten (at least once).

Good luck.

Cool good to know. I saw one in the coop yesterday and I wasn't sure if it should be a concern.

Urgh I hate scorpions! I moved to Texas from England and have a hard time dealing with all the bugs (we don't have any bugs that can hurt you except wasps in the UK, not even mosquitoes) I am pretty freaked out about the scorpions that I have seen since moving out into the country 2 months ago, but I have not seen any in the area where the chickens are and I am wondering if they are keeping the scorpion population down at that side. We go out hunting them at night now and then with black light torches, they glow florescent in the black light but so far we see them on the front of the house and never at the back and garden side where the chickens are.

Depends which type (how poisonous) the scorpion is.

We are inundated with highly venomous bark scorpions here and the chickens will gladly eat them like candy. As long as they can get them without being stung first, which usually results in a dead or very sick chicken. 99% of the time the poultry win that game.

We also have the big black scorpions (the name escapes me) which the chickens seem to play with for a while before eating, as if they know the thing won't hurt them if stung.

If it moves, it will be eaten (at least once).

Good luck.

AZJustin, are you referring to a vinegaroon? I'd love to see a vinegaroon and chicken battle. Do you have any footage? :D They're so big! Greetings from Bisbee : )

The Black Scorpions in question are probably Emperor Scorpions. They've been imported in plants from their native ranges that we use in landscaping.

Back
Top Bottom