Scaly leg mites??????

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
This is my over 4yo Americaun. Are her legs normal for this age chicken or is that SLM? This is my first time with an “older” chicken. And none of my younger 2yo-9month old birds have this on their legs. I took her in cause her previous owner couldn’t take care of her. Any help or info is GREATLY appreciated!!

Attachments

• 2159BBF1-84F2-4D1F-9206-146D8BBF502C.jpeg
    2159BBF1-84F2-4D1F-9206-146D8BBF502C.jpeg
    756.1 KB · Views: 9
Is she missing a toe on that one foot? 🤔. I agree that it looks like SLM. I’d smear those feet/ankles with ivermectin paste (TSC) nightly for a week or so. Vaseline can go on top of that, or just the ivermectin. They actually don’t look too bad yet. I took in a little roo years back whose feet looked deformed it had gotten so bad. He needed foot soaking/brushing and foot coatings, but his feet looked great within a few weeks. Having three 12 yr olds and three 10 yr olds, four sounds like a spring chicken to me! LOL! I consider 4 yrs early middle age 🙂

Is she missing a toe on that one foot? 🤔. I agree that it looks like SLM. I’d smear those feet/ankles with ivermectin paste (TSC) nightly for a week or so. Vaseline can go on top of that, or just the ivermectin. They actually don’t look too bad yet. I took in a little roo years back whose feet looked deformed it had gotten so bad. He needed foot soaking/brushing and foot coatings, but his feet looked great within a few weeks. Having three 12 yr olds and three 10 yr olds, four sounds like a spring chicken to me! LOL! I consider 4 yrs early middle age 🙂
No. That’s a leaf covering it. Theres some dead leaves from fall in there that they like to play in 😊. I appreciate the advice! I will definitely get to that in the morning. This is my 2nd year with the beauty queens 😁so I thought it’s best to ask. And I thank you! I’ll let you know how it goe.

Looks like mites, slather her legs down with vaseline or coconut oil to smother the mites. Then treat your coop with permethrine dust or spray
Okay l will do that tomorrow morning. I read that I should soak their legs up to the hocks in soapy water or water with hydrogen peroxide before putting the cocount oil on. It’s in the 30’s outside (10’s to single digits overnight) Will just the coconut oil be enough or should I also soak?

Okay l will do that tomorrow morning. I read that I should soak their legs up to the hocks in soapy water or water with hydrogen peroxide before putting the cocount oil on. It’s in the 30’s outside (10’s to single digits overnight) Will just the coconut oil be enough or should I also soak?
Those don't look bad enough to need soaking to me. I'm thinking just treating them should work...

Those don't look bad enough to need soaking to me. I'm thinking just treating them should work...
Ok. Thank you! She’s a sweet little hen. I feel bad i didn’t notice sooner but now I will get her all fixed up. I am grateful that you and this group are so kind and helpful to us beginners! ☺️🙏 thanks!!

Ok. Thank you! She’s a sweet little hen. I feel bad i didn’t notice sooner but now I will get her all fixed up. I am grateful that you and this group are so kind and helpful to us beginners! ☺️🙏 thanks!!
We were all beginners at one time. 🙂 I joined BYC 14 yrs ago, and practically lived on this site my first year with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom