Scaly leg mites or RIR natural colouring?

Kingal

Hatching
Dec 11, 2021
Hi all,

I have noticed my Rhode Island Reds (3) are developing red lines on their feet (image below). I have heard that some types have these, but can’t work out if it’s Scaly Leg Mites or something else??!! Help appreciated. The flock are 3.5/4 months old and consist of 3 RIR (1 cockerel). Thanks.

Attachments

• 93C03BBA-135F-458C-BED0-9BA470838AD8.jpeg
    93C03BBA-135F-458C-BED0-9BA470838AD8.jpeg
    998.4 KB · Views: 25
  • ADDD490F-DBAD-4406-8BB8-1F60DB13CFF6.jpeg
    ADDD490F-DBAD-4406-8BB8-1F60DB13CFF6.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 12
Scaly leg mites lift up the scales, and there may be what appears to be dirt collected under them. Your roo does not have leg mites. He may have bruised his leg hopping onto the roost. You might want to observe him when evening comes to see if the roost might be too high for him. The clue will be that he stands there for a bit, seeming to gather his courage and strength before attempting the leap up. In that case, you probably need to provide him with a perch lower to the ground.

Scaly leg mites lift up the scales, and there may be what appears to be dirt collected under them. Your roo does not have leg mites. He may have bruised his leg hopping onto the roost. You might want to observe him when evening comes to see if the roost might be too high for him. The clue will be that he stands there for a bit, seeming to gather his courage and strength before attempting the leap up. In that case, you probably need to provide him with a perch lower to the ground.
Ah yes! The perch is the original from my older birds (now moved into a new coop). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom