Scales on Face? and losing feathers

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
It's been about a week that I've noticed one of the hens losing feathers behind the neck. Two days ago, I've noticed what appears to be white-ish scales near her eyes and one on her beak. Several weeks ago, she laid a couple of eggs and is always being jumped on by those friendly roosters. These are two symptoms (losing feathers and possibly scales) that I'm not sure what the cause of it is or if they are related. She does have quite of an appetite and there are no other symptoms I can see. Please tell me what I can do or if there is a simple antidote or cause. Our feed store does not supply medication nor medicated feed for chickens and we have no avian vet. What is causing this and what can I do? These chickens are free-roaming. The eat on their own and roost in the trees at night. I throw some feed for them - not a lot as they can find more healthy eating on the ground between the seeds and insects. Based on a scale of 1-10, my knowledge on chickens are 2. I need your help or suggestion.

The loss of feathers around the neck is a result of the roo. He's playing too rough. The scaley face... does it smell moldy? Could be favus, a fungal infection. But it's more likely just dry skin. It's not pretty, but not harmful. You can put olive oil regularly on her face to make it go away.

You know - you're right, I did notice an odor. Is it okay to apply the olive oil near the eyes and the beak? Will her feathers grow back? I just adore this hen - she's so special to me. She's an invalid, having broken her leg - so I watch her everyday. I feel so much better now. Thank you so much.
smile.png

Well if it smells moldy, it's likely is Favus. It's not serious, just unsightly and uncomforable. I don't remember what you treat for it, but anything that treats fungal infections should work. It usually goes away on its own I think.

Yes, she can eat the olive oil too, and it won't hurt her eyes. It will actually make her feathers shinier if she eats enough. Good luck!
big_smile.png

I'll get a picture of my roo when I home, he has a "flakey face," as I call it. In his case, it's just dry skin and dirt.

Last edited:
You said friendly roosters (plural). How many roos do you have, and how many hens. They might be over breeding her. If they are all free ranging together, you need a lot of hens for each rooster.

There are least three roos that I've seen. I think because she's an invalid, she cannot get away as fast as she wants to. There are at least 7 hens including her. They are usually split in groups: one Roo to 4 hens (she's normally with this one), another Roo has his two hens, and one more all by himself. She cannot keep up with her roo, and so the others I've seen get her.

Back
Top Bottom