Save me from the broodies

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
For some reason all my leghorn cross girls keep going broody......I have 4 leghorn/giant crosses.....2 are sharing a nest of eggs (2 babies hatched so far and they are sharing). Number 3 girl is blind on one side but does fine running with the flock. and number 4 went broody yesterday in the litterbox nesting box in the garage. Straight on screaming and attacking broodiness......I have a couple broody cochins right now as well, but who'd have thunk that these LEGHORN crosses would be so broody? They are hatchery leghorn hens mixed with hatchery jersey giant rooster........definitely didn't expect such serious broodiness here. Wish I had hatched more out before I got rid of that rooster!

Here are the two girls sharing the nest (I have removed the saddles).
0406001822a.jpg

And with their 2 new babies (gold laced bantam cochins)
0420002030.jpg

I'm trying to break the other broody, so don't have any pictures. I do have a video of her being angry (LOL)

They're adorable! I also had leghorn crossed with silkie and they were my favourites. Funny how the color is white with black spots. I called mine Dally for dalmations lol, yes they were Dally 1, Dally 2 and so on.
lau.gif

My hatchery BR went broody so I just threw some eggs in there, then another BR and two WRs went broody.
I thought the first BR was aggressive, the WR was tearing my hand up, if I tried to get eggs she'd snag some skin off my hand, Ouch.
They gave up, but I've been hearing some screeching in the egg boxes lately
hmm.png

While it's nice to have a broody when you need it, they're terrible when you don't need it!

For some reason all my leghorn cross girls keep going broody......I have 4 leghorn/giant crosses.....2 are sharing a nest of eggs (2 babies hatched so far and they are sharing). Number 3 girl is blind on one side but does fine running with the flock. and number 4 went broody yesterday in the litterbox nesting box in the garage. Straight on screaming and attacking broodiness......I have a couple broody cochins right now as well, but who'd have thunk that these LEGHORN crosses would be so broody? They are hatchery leghorn hens mixed with hatchery jersey giant rooster........definitely didn't expect such serious broodiness here. Wish I had hatched more out before I got rid of that rooster!

Here are the two girls sharing the nest (I have removed the saddles).
0406001822a.jpg

And with their 2 new babies (gold laced bantam cochins)
0420002030.jpg

I'm trying to break the other broody, so don't have any pictures. I do have a video of her being angry (LOL)

I would love to know how their temperament and foraging is? I had considered breeding a jersey giant roo to brown leghorn hens because I love how flighty leghorns are and their color but I'd also like a bird with a bigger carcass. Also how heavy are they? And do they feel like they have more meat than a leghorn?

My EE was broody when she was only 18w old. She was a mix of black ameraucana and a California grey. Neither of the parent chickens are known for broodiness. I have several black, lavender, and blue Ameraucanas, none of them ever went to broody. California grey is definitely not broody either.

Back
Top Bottom