Sapphire Gem and Sapphire Olive egger, what is the difference?

SaraBeth89

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
I am new with chickens, I ordered 10 chicks from Hoover's Hatchery through Tractor supply. I decided to go with the 'assorted rare breeds'. I have 8 gray ones that I'm guessing are either Sapphire Gems or Sapphire Olive Eggers, is there a difference between the two? 3 out of 8 have a tuft on the top of their head. They are around 3 weeks old now. I hope my pictures work
20190309_160556.jpg
20190309_160312.jpg
20190309_155804_004_01.jpg
20190309_160322.jpg
20190309_160010.jpg
20190309_155817.jpg

Sapphire gems would not be included in the rare assortment, and not all sapphire olive eggers have a crest. There are other noncrested blue plumage breeds that may be included in the rare breed assortment though such as the prairie Blue Bell and blue andalusion
As noted above the sapphire gem is a sex link that lays Brown eggs, they are lovely birds I have raised and kept them over the past year.
Sapphire olive eggers will produce an Olive egg...i have some arriving next week. I work with Hoover's not only on a personal order basis but also as they are the supplier of my husband's employer.

I recently purchased 5 “sapphire olive Eggers” from Hoover’s. All 5 are hens and just started laying. Of the 5, 3 lay green eggs the other 2 brown. Three have crests. One of the crested is also barred and she lays a light brown egg. One has a darker head and slate legs and also lays brown. The other 3 are a solid darker gray, 2 are created and they lay green. Pretty disappointed that they weren’t what they said they were. I even wrote them and questioned them about the breeds crossed as soon as I could tell they were different hoping to understand what to expect a little better. They were not forthcoming with information.

I’m having the same issue! Only one of mine lays olive eggs! They offered me a refund but I suggested they change the name of the breed instead so that other people aren’t misled.

My Hoover Sapphire Olive Egger's all lay dark brown eggs and have Cream Legbar looking combs with the little crest of feathers sticking up. I love them though.

Sapphire gems would not be included in the rare assortment, and not all sapphire olive eggers have a crest. There are other noncrested blue plumage breeds that may be included in the rare breed assortment though such as the prairie Blue Bell and blue andalusion
As noted above the sapphire gem is a sex link that lays Brown eggs, they are lovely birds I have raised and kept them over the past year.
Sapphire olive eggers will produce an Olive egg...i have some arriving next week. I work with Hoover's not only on a personal order basis but also as they are the supplier of my husband's employer.
I know this is a long shot but If you still are on here could I show you mine? Mine is similar to these pictures .

Back
Top Bottom