Santa brought us a chicken for Christmas

SuburbChix

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2024
2 days before Christmas, a buff orpington wandered into our yard and onto our front porch. We tried to find her owner, but no luck on that. We decided to keep her and let the 8 year old have her as a pet, and get some more chickens once the feed stores had them in stock. As far as our 8 year old is concerned, she was sent to him for Christmas from Santa. It was really perfect the way that worked out.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I grew up in a rural area and we did have chickens, but I wasn't directly involved in their care most days.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have 1 chicken and 4 chicks we picked up to keep her company. She was living in a crate in our living room during the colder winter months and was interacting with us constantly. We have made good use of chicken diapers with her. We finally picked up some chicks from a local feed store so we can increase our flock. We always planned to have chickens, but we hadn't gotten around to it yet. We're very happy about all these delicious eggs.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Our first chicken is a buff orpington, very friendly and sweet. As far as chicks, we just picked up 2 black australorps, and 2 golden laced wyandottes which are also very sweet.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Their little personalities! Our buff orp follows us around outside while we do everything, and she jumps right into our lap if we're sitting down. Eggs taste totally different from store eggs too, which is my husband's favorite part.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like to read, play video games, exercise, crochet, sew, embroider/cross stitch, and am learning to knit. I enjoy canning, gardening, and baking too.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have 2 golden retrievers, 2 cats, 2 kids, and of course now the 5 chickens. We had thought about picking up a bunny but right now we're too busy and the house is not bunny proofed.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

google, but my mother used to hang around here back in the day when she had chickens so I knew about it already. I had just forgotten about it until I googled something about chicks and their sleep needs.

Some of my oldest birds are Buffs. Coming on 7 yrs now. Not really laying but they are enjoying Spring Time! Welcome to the site.:frow

hello-farmer-connie.gif

Back
Top Bottom