Salmon faverolles not laying at all

Nlips

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2022
I have 9 salmon faverolle chickens who were born in June 2021 and I got my first egg on Christmas of 2021! Which was amazing and they have been great egg layers and pets for our family. I purchased them because of their cute funny friendly personalities as well as their ability to keep laying eggs throughout the winter. However this October 2022 they started to slow down egg production rather quickly and now has to a complete halt. No eggs for the entire month of November and December. I know that they were molting but it seems to be over now and they laid throughout the winter last year so I am confused as to why they may not be laying. They don’t seem sick at all I can’t find any injuries or anything else that would explain why they’re not laying does anyone have any ideas or is this normal for them? Thanks for your help this is my first time having chickens and I’m really bummed that they aren’t laying anymore because I thought they would lay much longer than only a year and a half?

There isn't enough daylight hours for them to lay. Some people use lights in their coops to keep them laying, though.
I'm not sure why, but my new layers too will lay all through their first winter and then stop laying the next winter.

100% normal. Eggs are a seasonal food. You need to continuously to add younger birds to the flock to keep production up, use artificial lighting, or save up in late summer and fall to keep yourself in eggs through winter. My flock is staggered in 2 year increments, but that means I still need to save up eggs in late summer in order to have eggs in winter.

There isn't enough daylight hours for them to lay. Some people use lights in their coops to keep them laying, though.
I'm not sure why, but my new layers too will lay all through their first winter and then stop laying the next winter.
Thank you!

I use both light and heat and for the first time in 7 years I am only getting 3 eggs a day this winter. I have checked several sites and there are plenty of us who have had unusual drop in egg production. I have 25 hens who vary in age from 7 years to <1 year. No changes in what we do since we moved the coop 5 years ago.

try making your own food or letting them free range; people are all over the internet saying the same thing with back yard chickens and that may help

Back
Top Bottom