Sally's GF3 thread

Sad news...

My beautiful white Chantecler rooster, Snowbird, has died. I don't know what happened.

Rest in peace, buddy. Fly high and free.

I will bury him in the garden tomorrow.
I'm so sorry. I recently lost my head roo, Joel. He had a seizure and died right in front of me.

They can be so tough, and yet so fragile.

Two days ago, he ran out into the run when the propane truck came, flapping his wings, ready to defend his girls. Today he was sitting in his usual afternoon spot, across from the nestboxes, when he keeps watch over the ladies while they lay.

I will save some of his gorgeous, irridescent white feathers. Lovely, lovely fellow.

No, I am a bit of a water snob. We have a reverse osmosis filter on our kitchen tap, and that is the best tasting water I've found. We have a lot (LOT!!!) of iron in our water, even have an iron filter, but our tap water is bleah. We have a softener too; RO is the only process I know of, other than distillation, that removes salt.

When we go out, I relax my ban on pop (soda), and have a diet Coke. Lots of less-than-good things in that, but I don't drink alcohol, and the water in restaurants is usually not very tasty to me. In the rare instances that a restaurant will have kombucha, I'll get that. LOVE that stuff. I'm a kombucha snob too: I like my home made stuff the best.
We have a well and it has a lot iron. We have all the filters too. But, I like spring water so a buy case of it. I was a big drinker of diet Pepsi or zero but it just doesn't taste that good anymore. I'm like that with Lemon aid have to have it. Just reached my 8000 steps so I think I'll hit the hay ! 😴 Enjoy!

We have a well and it has a lot iron. We have all the filters too. But, I like spring water so a buy case of it. I was a big drinker of diet Pepsi or zero but it just doesn't taste that good anymore. I'm like that with Lemon aid have to have it. Just reached my 8000 steps so I think I'll hit the hay ! 😴 Enjoy!
So sorry about Snowbird i have a Braham named snowball. 😔

Today I ordered some supplies from Mann Lake Bee supply.

Our hive seems to be humming along, and it's early. Perhaps by the time flowers bloom and there's a real nectar flow, they may say, "It's too crowded in here!" and leave, ie, swarm.

[And when there was no room at the inn, they just up and left.]

We planned to start a second hive anyway, so I ordered the woodware (boxes) and frames. I'll get my bee guy, Ed, to come over and look inside with me, tell me if he thinks I need to "split the hive." This means you take about half of the frames out and put them in a new hive. They will either make a new queen, or you buy one and add her. This is called "requeening."

[Not the same as "queening" in chess. If you have two queens in a hive, one will probably kill the other. Oh, I am sooo funny today, aren't I?]

Anyway, I wanted to be ready with the coomponents, just in case we need to split the hive.

Today I ordered some supplies from Mann Lake Bee supply.

Our hive seems to be humming along, and it's early. Perhaps by the time flowers bloom and there's a real nectar flow, they may say, "It's too crowded in here!" and leave, ie, swarm.

[And when there was no room at the inn, they just up and left.]

We planned to start a second hive anyway, so I ordered the woodware (boxes) and frames. I'll get my bee guy, Ed, to come over and look inside with me, tell me if he thinks I need to "split the hive." This means you take about half of the frames out and put them in a new hive. They will either make a new queen, or you buy one and add her. This is called "requeening."

[Not the same as "queening" in chess. If you have two queens in a hive, one will probably kill the other. Oh, I am sooo funny today, aren't I?]

Anyway, I wanted to be ready with the coomponents, just in case we need to split the hive.
Good luck with your bee endeavor. I remember my grandfather had hives back in the mid 50's but I've never worked them myself.

I've posted this in a couple different threads, but I wanted to post it here too.

This story does a bit to restore my faith in my fellow human beings.

My neighbor, Jamie, is dying of heart failure. They called a small company to come clean their windows. The price had gone up, of course, since everything is more expensive. They told the guys to do what they could do in the time allowed for the $200 fee. One of the workers saw Jamie sitting in her chair, bundled up in blankets, and asked her husband if she was ok.

No, no she's not.

He gave them the check for $200, and one of the guys wanted to give him $100 bill in change. Charlie said, no, but thank you. So the guy said that they had noticed that the gutters were clogged full of leaves, and they would come back another day to clean them, for free.

Which they did, today.

Pip, one of my 10 month old Bielefelder pullets, is fighting salpingitis, an infection of the oviduct. ("Lash eggs" are the sign of this dreaded disease.) I treated her with amoxicillin, 250mg pills, twice a day, for 10 days. She seems to be doing much better. I'm giving her calcium citrate + D now.

She has laid this, a 93 gram monster:
IMG_E5743.JPG

I know it was hers, as the green mark on the round end is from the green food coloring I put on her butt.

She also laid another membrane egg, along with an egg yolk, a few days after.

Everything I've read, here on BYC and other places online, tell me that salpingitis is not curable, and the average lifespan is about 6 months after it's diagnosed. The amoxicllin can treat the infection, but not cure it. It's also only available by vet prescription now. The bottle I have is all I can get, unless I take her to a vet and get a scrip. (I posted about a scam site that has it for sale.)

So, I looked up "natural cures," since there is some evidence that these do work. A lot of the evidence is anecdotal; the plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

But I did find this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ited apoptosis,immune function in laying hens.

I'll be ordering lotus leaf to see if I can help my poor little Pippy. I will report back any findings.

Sample size: 1
No control group

It'll just be another anecdote. But it will be my anecdote. For what that is worth.

Back
Top Bottom