Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
I spent most of yesterday in bed with a brick in my gut. I'm still not sure how it got there; I don't recall eating any bricks. 🤔 Even MY cooking is not that bad.

I'm still not very hungry; I didn't finish my oatmeal for breakfast. Nor my coffee. Sacrilege! I do know better than to tax my gut right now, though. After all, it worked pretty hard to digest that brick!

GF #2 is Gluten Free.

I don't have celiac, THANK GOODNESS! but I am gluten sensitive. Really throws a monkey wrench into any baking. Non-wheat flours just don't work the same, and you lose the elasticity. Buh-bye, stretchy, chewy stuff like pizza crust. Still looking for a recipe for that.

It really surprised me how many foods have some wheat flour in them. Like licorice! I loooove black licorice, and have only found one brand that doesn't have wheat flour: Gimbal's Licorice Scottie dogs.

So from time to time, I'll post some recipes I make that are GF. Please feel free to post any recipes you like, too.

Here's the home made caramel sauce recipe. Waaaay better than store bought.

1 ingredient: sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz can(s)

You need a pressure cooker; I use an Instant Pot. You also need a pint canning jar, lid, and ring for each can of condensed milk. You can do as many as will fit in your pressure cooker; I can do 3. Wash/sterilize the jars, wash the lids and rings. I use wide mouth jars so that I can scrape every last bit of caramel out of the jar.

Pour the milk into canning jar, put on the lid and ring. Tighten the ring finger tight. Put a trivet in the pressure cooker, put the jars on the trivet. Pour in enough water to be above the milk level in the jars, but below the rings. High pressure, quick release. Remove the jars (they will seal) and let cool.

How long to process...? I do 20 minutes, and it's pourable, like what you'd pour over ice cream. Or cake. If you process it longer, it gets thicker. I haven't tried doing that, since I like the results at 20 minutes.

Ok, I'll confess. If I made it thicker, I'd eat the entire jar with a spoon.
Must try this!!

View attachment 3513891This is the area where sweet potatoes will go. The darker spots are where I spread some chicken run dirt last fall. (The really dark spot is some coffee grounds.) Those areas were slightly raised. The Great Washout of '23 moved a lot of that stuff down to the other end of the garden. You can see the sand that got moved around as well.

View attachment 3513909
I tilled it all up and watered it for 2 hours. It's been very dry. I rarely use an overhead sprinkler, since they're so inefficient, but that seemed to be the best way to water the whole area.

The black is weed "block" fabric. I'm using that to pre-warm the soil.

This is my second try with sweet potatoes. The first time, I planted them in the heavy soil garden and got nada. I didn't know they didn't like heavy soil. I thought they'd appreciate more hours of sunshine and warmer air temps at night. :idunno
Your place is beautiful!

Let us know how long you process it and how thick it is. As I said, I might eat the entire jar with a spoon if I make it thicker. But dang, a thick glob (thinking peanut butter consistency) on a rice cake, or some home made GF bread... yum.
Question: do you have any idea how long I might process these in a pressure canner? I do have an instant pot, but have never used it for pressure canning.

That was a smart idea!

My nest boxes are built into the wall so I can't move them.
I need to think on this and see if I can come up with something. Hmmm
I have 3 raised boxes, and added 4 more along the floor. Just got round laundry baskets from dollar tree, and put a brick on each side to hold them in place. A few prefer the high ones, a few prefer the floor. Much less noise & complaining when someone is occupying a box now!

:goodpost:, I have same idea.

That was a smart idea!

My nest boxes are built into the wall so I can't move them.
I need to think on this and see if I can come up with something. Hmmm
I intended to suggest a simple box with some hay, to create a comfy nest. Box with opening on top. Pine shavings work equally well. I just like using HAY.:thumbsup
One simple question.?
Are your nesting boxes large/high enough?? If the height is insufficient, then hen may not feel comfortable laying egg. They stand up during the final express.

Back
Top Bottom