Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
I made roasted potatoes today. A) it sounded good; B) I wanted to see how some of the potatoes I dug looked inside; and, C) the house was chilly, and they need about 50-60 minutes in a 350 F oven.

I grew a lot of Elba potatoes. They are supposed to have good late blight resistence. I didn't see signs of late blight, but that's a good thing.

Elbas get what I call ButtFace. That was the descriptor that came to mind when I first saw it, and it stuck.

IMG_4711.JPG

This is a mild case. (I also chose this potato because I sliced it with the shovel. Ooops.) ButtFace is opposite the stem thingie that connects the tuber to the root. I believe it's caused by excess rain at the end of the potato's development, but that's just my guess.

When I see it, I know to look for this inside:
IMG_4715.JPG

I cut the icky bit out and use the rest. Since I cut taters into 1/2" cubes for roasting, I still get a lot of good around the icky bit.

Roasted potatoes, which we call DeKraker Potatoes, after the friends who introduced us to them.

Lots of potatoes cut into 1/2" ish cubes (Lots = 6-7 cups this time)
~1/4 cup olive oil (I don't measure, I just pour)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon jerk seasoning (omit if you don't like it, use more if you do)
Chopped onions (I used 6 golfball sized onions this time)
2 medium big cloves garlic, minced, even though I had powdered garlic in here already (because you can never have too much garlic, right @U_Stormcrow?)

Soak the cubed potatoes in cold water for 10-15 minutes. Drain well. Blot dry if you want to. I don't.

In a medium large mixing bowl, mix the olive oil and the seasonings. Dump in the potatoes and onions and stir well to coat.

Oil the bottom and sides of 2-9x13 pans. You don't want the taters to be too deep in the pan, or they don't get as crispy. This amount is too much for one pan. So, you could cut everything in half to make it fit in one. We really (REALLY!) like these, and two pans will fit in the oven, so I make a big batch when I make them.

I oil the pan in addition to the oil that's in the recipe because otherwise the potatoes stick to my glass pans. We're talking super glue stick. The solvent for this isn't acetone, but elbow grease and a brillo pad. When I remember to oil the pan, my elbows thank me, and I don't have to look for the brillo pad.

Dump the seasoned potatoes and onion into the pans, and spread them out. Bake in a 350F oven for 40-60 minutes, depending on how big the chunks are and how crispy you like them. And how cold your house is.

WAIT!!!! What about those 2 big cloves of garlic!?!?!

After 20-30 minutes, take the pans out and sprinkle the garlic bits over the top. (If your fingers don't smell like garlic, you didn't use enough.) Stir the potatoes around. Your elbows will thank you if you really scrape the bottom of the pan when you stir them.

DW usually does the diced potatoes. Similar ingredients. Very often she dices up Yukon Gold's with skins on them. Always did on stovetop in skillet. I will discuss doing it in oven next time. :thumbsup
We do experiment with different seasonings as well. I will try this new seasoning I just recently purchased.
Yes I know I placed it on top of a watermelon. I needed 2 hands to take a steady shot. :old
My main reason for this seasoning at time of purchase,,,,,, To flavor my rice cooking, and when I bake breadsticks. :drool:drool:drool.... I gently roll the breadsticks in my mixture of seasoning,, that include Parmesan/Romano cheese. Then bake.
You already know I like to experiment:highfive:
IMG_20230924_180539383_HDR.jpg

There is never enough garlic.
Well, I guess you can eat too much garlic.

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles...=As per rat studies, garlic,for the liver (2).

"Excess garlic consumption may affect the liver. Though raw garlic has antioxidant potential, excess intake can lead to liver toxicity (1). As per rat studies, garlic in high doses (0.5 grams per kg of body weight) may induce liver damage. However, low doses of garlic (0.1 grams to 0.25 grams per kg of body weight) on a daily basis are safe for the liver (2)."

At my 58 kilos...
IMG_E4633.JPG

...one of these is (almost) too much. I only got one clove that big, though there were a lot of runners-up.
Did you know that with a lot of effort, and the right tools, you can turn garlic, oil, salt and pepper into a creamy spread? "Death by Garlic" - its used like mayo.
Recipe... please???? I found lots of "Death by Garlic" recipes for a pasta dish. I am not going to ruin garlic with a GF pasta. :sick

Wait... you mean this stuff???
https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/lebanese-garlic-sauce/
:drool:drool:drool:drool

Well, I guess you can eat too much garlic.
So true, with eating too much of any one thing. Have read,, that about a bushel of carrots at one time is enough to finish you off.:(
Another positive note about garlic,,,, WARD OFF VAMPIRES. Why take a chance :idunno
One other thing that in excess is bad for you ,,,,, WORK:th

There are exceptions to the above rule..
Of hand come to mind,, DESSERTS :frow It is advised to eat first in case you are too full, after a hefty meal.

Back
Top Bottom