Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
Thanks! That’s really sweet of you! How big is the shallot part? We eat a ton of onions, and I do a lot of cooking, but I end up composting the green tops of our onions. I would hate to take them and not eat them.

Would any of you like some (free!) Egyptian Walking Onion starts? They grow in zones 3-10, so just about anywhere. The entire plant is edible; you get green onions and a shallot-type onion. The plant grows a stalk that makes little topset onions (also edible). Eventually, this gets too heavy and falls to the ground, rooting and growing a new plant. Thus the name: it "walks" across the ground. Ok, that's 1/3 of the name. The onion part is obvious, but the Egyptian part is a mystery.

I planted my first sets 4-5 years ago, and have all the green onions and shallot onions I can use. As long as I can get a shovel into the ground, I can dig up fresh onions. These were my first crop this spring. Even before I got any weeds to eat.

I send them 1st class mail (cheap) so a PO Box is fine. PM me your address if you would some.

:highfive: That is a very generous offer. I will take you up on it! I just sent you a PM with my address.

Do I plant the starts this fall for early spring harvest, or do I keep them inside the house until next spring to plant? Again, I live in zone 3b with long, cold, snowy weather. Also, do these type of onions spread out and need a bed of their own? I have never heard of Egyptian Walking Onion starts, so I guess I'll have to look it up online.

Again, thanks.

I end up composting the green tops of our onions.

Oh boy, the green tops of onions are great to eat. I like to cut them up into smaller pieces and put them on my salads, or into soups. I also put onion tops in my egg omelets. Come to think of it, green onion tops go good with just about anything.

Would any of you like some (free!) Egyptian Walking Onion starts? They grow in zones 3-10, so just about anywhere.
Thank you Sally... I will pass on them at this time... but will keep in mind if things change in my gardening plans. Currently my gardening is container grown flowers.

I also read some of your other posts relating to power outage. Just wanted to share my setup.
I have a small 4400 watt generator on ready to fly setup. What does that mean??? Generator is in dormant stage, meaning, there is no gas in the tank, and mainly in the carburetor. When needed, I just fill with fuel, and Genny starts right up.
The common mistake peeps make with gasoline equipment::: for longer term storage,,. They leave the gasoline in machine. It is all fine in the short term,,, but longer term like over winter, (for lawnmowers) the gasoline dries out in carburetor, and clogs the small passages, with a varnish like buildup. Then the machine refuses to start.
Solution;; take to small engine service center, and fork over cash,,,, Most will just sell you a new carbyurator. They don't have time, or service personnel to repair your old one. Switch carbs, and present you with a BILL. Easiest solution for shop.
I on the other hand, am knowledgeable on carburetors.. I have repaired so many in my lifetime, so I service them properly. Running a motor until it burns up all the fuel in the carburetor , is the best prevention know by me. I refer to it as running the motor dry.

So now to my actual operation in a power outage. I fill with fresh fuel.. Genny starts right up. I use limited amount to run just the essentials. Refrigerators, and limited lights. I do not use the microwave oven.. or ironing iron, or other high draw appliances, such as toasters. This way Genny runs at low load, which translates to low fuel consumption.

I think I overtyped,, as my fingers are getting tired. :old :gig,, But am willing to answer any questions related to subject.

How big is the shallot part? We eat a ton of onions, and I do a lot of cooking, but I end up composting the green tops of our onions. I would hate to take them and not eat them.
Do I plant the starts this fall for early spring harvest, or do I keep them inside the house until next spring to plant? Again, I live in zone 3b with long, cold, snowy weather. Also, do these type of onions spread out and need a bed of their own? I have never heard of Egyptian Walking Onion starts, so I guess I'll have to look it up online.

IMG_2517.JPG

This is the shallot, and about the average size, so not really big. I planted my original starts in late October and put them about 2-3" below the surface of the soil, with 4-5" of mulch over top. When the green shoots start to poke through and the threat of HARD freezes is over, I remove the mulch.

I totaly blew it this year, as we had a freeze (27 degrees) on May 26th, about 2 weeks past our usual last frost (not freeze) date. The greens that froze wilted, but they grew new ones.

IMG_2466.JPG

I have my EWOs in their own bed. They have filled in nicely. The shallot grows a new onion off to the side, from the roots. The bunches get bigger and fill in that way, as well as the topsets starting new plants.

Oh boy, the green tops of onions are great to eat. I like to cut them up into smaller pieces and put them on my salads, or into soups. I also put onion tops in my egg omelets. Come to think of it, green onion tops go good with just about anything
These make the BEST green onions, IMO. I snip a leaf from several plants, not all from one. I really like these better than the green onions in the store, as they are thicker and more substantial.

When I want to dig up some onions, I usually split a bunch, because I know it will fill in. These things are tough; chopping into the middle of a bunch of onions with a shovel, and pulling out half of it doesn't seem to faze them at all.

The first spring after I planted them, I only snipped some green onions, so the plants could get established. They filled in a lot the first year. Only a few of them made topsets that year, and I planted those to help fill in the bed. I had planned this bed to be for EWOs, so I wanted it to fill in. They did so, and crowd out most of the weeds.

Yes, they do escape the bed, but I just dig those up and either eat them or toss them. I have enough of these for... ever.

I also read some of your other posts relating to power outage. Just wanted to share my setup.
I have a small 4400 watt generator on ready to fly setup. What does that mean??? Generator is in dormant stage, meaning, there is no gas in the tank, and mainly in the carburetor. When needed, I just fill with fuel, and Genny starts right up.
The common mistake peeps make with gasoline equipment::: for longer term storage,,. They leave the gasoline in machine. It is all fine in the short term,,, but longer term like over winter, (for lawnmowers) the gasoline dries out in carburetor, and clogs the small passages, with a varnish like buildup. Then the machine refuses to start.
Our generator is 24 years old. Yup, we got it in 1999, and had to wait a few weeks for it to be shipped, due to the Y2K buying frenzy. It was about $1000, and more than that for an electrician to come out and put a bypass box on the house and wire it in.

SO FAR, the carburetor has worked just fine, even when it sits with gas for months. It's a 5500 watt, and it'll run plenty of lights/small things, and the pump when it cycles. When we run the (electric) stove, you can hear it labor. I actually canned a load of tomatoes with it as the electric source, and it did fine. We didn't have many lights -- or anything else -- on.

DH has looked into getting another, more powerful generator, for about $2K. We already have the box and the cable to hook it up.

View attachment 3625160
This is the shallot, and about the average size, so not really big. I planted my original starts in late October and put them about 2-3" below the surface of the soil, with 4-5" of mulch over top. When the green shoots start to poke through and the threat of HARD freezes is over, I remove the mulch.

I totaly blew it this year, as we had a freeze (27 degrees) on May 26th, about 2 weeks past our usual last frost (not freeze) date. The greens that froze wilted, but they grew new ones.

View attachment 3625178
I have my EWOs in their own bed. They have filled in nicely. The shallot grows a new onion off to the side, from the roots. The bunches get bigger and fill in that way, as well as the topsets starting new plants.

These make the BEST green onions, IMO. I snip a leaf from several plants, not all from one. I really like these better than the green onions in the store, as they are thicker and more substantial.

When I want to dig up some onions, I usually split a bunch, because I know it will fill in. These things are tough; chopping into the middle of a bunch of onions with a shovel, and pulling out half of it doesn't seem to faze them at all.

The first spring after I planted them, I only snipped some green onions, so the plants could get established. They filled in a lot the first year. Only a few of them made topsets that year, and I planted those to help fill in the bed. I had planned this bed to be for EWOs, so I wanted it to fill in. They did so, and crowd out most of the weeds.

Yes, they do escape the bed, but I just dig those up and either eat them or toss them. I have enough of these for... ever.
I have a bunch of these (admittedly, far fewer), but a bunch in a 2' x 3' sectioon of one of my raised beds. Keep them a bit mor thinned. Want to say I have seven?? plants. And yes, we use them as green onion in a bunch of dishes. Have had less luck replanting the topsets.

:eek: Wow! That is a lot of onions! But oh my goodness, do they look fantastic. I think I will build a separate, smaller, pallet wood raised bed for the onions. Maybe only a 2X2 foot bed. That way they can fill in the bed and I don't have to worry about them escaping. I don't think I would ever use more then what I could grow in a 2X2 foot bed.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

That's how I harvest my green onions tops, too. Just a little here and there off the plants and they grow back all summer. Looking forward to these thicker greens. Love green onions in soups and salads.

Back
Top Bottom