Sally's GF3 thread

The next four days are going to be cool/chilly and damp/wet at times. After that, 70s, and 50s at night. Do I dare start hardening off the plants then?

I keep flashing back to last year. I had tomato plants in the ground on May 26, and we got a serious frost. I bought some plants to replace the ones that died.

This is my hardening off method.
View attachment 3826325
Those are L/XL dog crates. View attachment 3826326
The plants sit outside in the garden, covered with a sheet for the sunniest part of the day, while they're still getting used to direct sunlight.

Then they're covered only at night. If we had threat of frost, I could throw another cover over them. Or carry them all back to the green house.

Don't the pepper plants (lower left corner) look puny!! compared to the tomatoes?
Peppers like heat, don't do well until the days are consistently warm.

Oh, yes. I looked it up, it must have been the June 1953 tornado outbreak he was referring to. They were sent to assist in rescue and recovery.
There have been plenty of tornadoes in Michigan.
That was a bit before my time.

"One of the nation's most devastating natural disasters occurred in the Flint, Michigan's Beecher district on Monday, June 8th, 1953, resulting in 116 deaths and injuring 844. To date, this F5 intensity tornado was the last one in the United States to result in over 100 fatalities."

There have been plenty of tornadoes in Michigan.
That was a bit before my time.

"One of the nation's most devastating natural disasters occurred in the Flint, Michigan's Beecher district on Monday, June 8th, 1953, resulting in 116 deaths and injuring 844. To date, this F5 intensity tornado was the last one in the United States to result in over 100 fatalities."
Before my time, and my older sisters' time, too. My parents got married in December 1954.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom