Safely Preserving Garlic in Oil

jomoncon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
While browsing through Youtube the other day, I ran across a video on how to safely preserve chopped garlic in oil. Because of the risk of botulism, I've always been leery of instructions that saved chopped garlic in oil either in the refrigerator or the freezer.

In reading the description of the video, she refers to a site that has lab-tested directions. Sponsored by the University of Idaho, it directs that chopped garlic be acidified in a 3% citric acid solution for 24 hours at a ratio of 1 part garlic to 3 parts citric acid solution, by weight.

Because of these lab tested results, I feeling kind of confident that this is a safe way to have home made chopped garlic, similar to what's purchased at the grocery. It can either be stored in the fridge, for best tasting or even room temps.

The youtube video is :

The University of Idaho peer reviewed article is:
http://www.foodprotection.org/files/food-protection-trends/Jul-Aug-14-Abo.pdf

I've given it a try - just finished my 24 hour soak moved the chopped garlic to a jar. BTW, I used 300 grams of chopped garlic and with oil to cover, it filled a pint jar to the top. There is no lemony taste from the citric acid, but the garlic taste is much, much stronger that the chopped garlic that you buy.

Has anyone else seen this information? Has anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom