Safeguard pellets how much to give

Mama Kay W

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Northern Idaho
I looked all around in the store and all they had was Safeguard in pellets.

Could some one please let me know how much to give to my hens and how long/often they should be treated?
hmm.png

They didn't have any horse wormer? I'd take the pellets back and get a refund or store credit. If they don't have have Safeguard liquid for goats or paste for horses or cattle, order it online. The ingredient you're looking for is Fenbendazole, so check again for that.

-Kathy

They said they were getting more in on friday, I didn't know when I'd be able to get back in town so I bought the pellets
sad.png
drawback of living far from a very small town.

Either the liquid or the paste is fine? Is it just one dose then again in 10 days?

They said they were getting more in on friday, I didn't know when I'd be able to get back in town so I bought the pellets
sad.png
drawback of living far from a very small town.

Either the liquid or the paste is fine? Is it just one dose then again in 10 days?

What you want is either Safeguard liquid goat wormer in the 125ml bottle or the Safeguard equine paste. Give a "pea" size amount of the paste orally to each chicken, then redose in 10 days. The liquid goat wormer is 1/2cc orally undiluted to each chicken, then redose in 10 days.

The paste and the liquid are both 10% Fenbendazole, so they are *exactly* the same. 1 gram of paste = 1 ml of liquid, both have 100mg Fenbendazole. FYI, I weighed 1 ml of the paste and it does weigh 1 gram, so the really are the same. I have no idea how many mg of Fenbendazole are in the pellets, but if you could figure that out *and* get you birds to eat the correct amount, it would work. The amount I like to give mine is 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds of liquid or paste) once and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Just did a quick search on the Safeguard pellets and the stuff I found is a 5% Fenbendazole alfalfa based pellet, which I think you'll have a hard time trying to get them to eat enough of it. FWIW, while mine like fresh leafy alfalfa hay, they will_not_eat alfalfa pellets, period.

-Kathy

Yes the pellets are only 5%. The "chicken" guy at the local feed store finally came in this morning and he told me for the pellets, the amount to give them is 2.27 MG per pound. So I figured for their weight it's about 3 small pieces of pellets.

They didn't want to eat it the way it was so, I crushed it up and put it in some yogurt and they ate every last little bit
big_smile.png

The lady at the other feed store said that I can bring back the pellets (with receipt) and they will exchange it for the liquid or paste when they get it in tomorrow, just let them know it didn't work for the hens.

So in 10 days I'll give them either the liquid or paste. I didn't know that there was a difference in the strength of the medication, thank you for your help. At least they have some de-wormer in them.

2.27 mg per pound is not enough Fenbendazole, they need much more than that. Goats, cows and horses get about that amount (5mg/kg), but poultry, cats and dogs need more. 2.27 mg per pound would be like giving them .027ml of the liquid.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom