Sac out of vent

CrazyBirdLady12

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2020
Hi there! I’m incubating for the first time and I have a chick that has taken 24 hrs to break out of the shell. I noticed this red sac hanging out. It is making it difficult to standup/walk because it’s just dragging it around. I’m not sure what it is and if I should do anything about it. I’d really like to see this sweet baby with its other siblings.

Attachments

• 3623A648-AE24-4FF6-859E-0319A5BEACFD.jpeg
    3623A648-AE24-4FF6-859E-0319A5BEACFD.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4EF8AEC1-03DF-4F95-9D9B-B3B8330A0037.jpeg
    4EF8AEC1-03DF-4F95-9D9B-B3B8330A0037.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 4
Um, are you sure that's a sack out of it's vent? To me that looks like unabsorbed yolk sack connected to its umbilical cord hole (not sure what you call that hole). Are there any internal organs outside the chick's body? If so, you will want to push those back inside if possible. The umbilical cord hole closes up within a few hours of hatching - if the internal organs are not back inside the chick before the hole closes up, you will have to cull the chick. I had a chick with this problem and was unable to push everything back in. I had to cull it. I'm still sad about it, but there was nothing else I could do.

If this is unabsorbed yolk sack, set the chick in a small cup so it won't move around much, inside a soft paper towel, and give it a few hours inside the incubator to see if it will absorb the yolk. Details in this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If there are internal organs outside its body as well as yolk sack, and you can't get them back inside, you will need to cull the chick. You can cull it quickly (cutting board and knife or a strong pair of scissors) or it will die a lingering painful death over the next few days as its organs slowly die. Just not much you can do when its insides are on its outsides. Surgery for a chick this small is out of reach for most of us backyard chicken keepers.

I really hope only the yolk sack is out and that it absorbs quickly.

Last edited:
Um, are you sure that's a sack out of it's vent? To me that looks like unabsorbed yolk sack connected to its umbilical cord hole (not sure what you call that hole). Are there any internal organs outside the chick's body? If so, you will want to push those back inside if possible. The umbilical cord hole closes up within a few hours of hatching - if the internal organs are not back inside the chick before the hole closes up, you will have to cull the chick. I had a chick with this problem and was unable to push everything back in. I had to cull it. I'm still sad about it, but there was nothing else I could do.

If this is unabsorbed yolk sack, set the chick in a small cup so it won't move around much, inside a soft paper towel, and give it a few hours inside the incubator to see if it will absorb the yolk. Details in this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If there are internal organs outside its body as well as yolk sack, and you can't get them back inside, you will need to cull the chick. You can cull it quickly (cutting board and knife or a strong pair of scissors) or it will die a lingering painful death over the next few days as its organs slowly die. Just not much you can do when its insides are on its outsides. Surgery for a chick this small is out of reach for most of us backyard chicken keepers.

I do not think that there are any organs outside so maybe it is attached to the cord although didn’t look like it. I can take it out of the incubator and put it in something like you’ve suggested and put it back. Thank you!

I do not think that there are any organs outside so maybe it is attached to the cord although didn’t look like it. I can take it out of the incubator and put it in something like you’ve suggested and put it back. Thank you!

Just looked again and it’s not from the vent thankfully. Definitely didn’t want to be touched, but got it in a cup in the incubator and hopefully it doesn’t try to climb out of it too much. Thank you for prompting me to look again, just know I’m not supposed to open it too much while they find their spot In the shell!

Back
Top Bottom