*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Hello from the Isle of Wight. We got six eight week old black(ish) runners a couple of weeks ago. They're in an enclosed run at the moment, because the UK is under avian flu lockdown.

Because our ground is so wet they're on a wooden 'raft' covered with woodchip, fenced and netted, with a home-built hut placed next to the outside bit.

They're not very friendly at the moment, but they're runners, so I was prepared for them to be nervous anyway. They are very good at putting themselves away at night, which is great.

We appear to have three drakes and three ducks, which is OK for now.

I last had runners about 20 years ago and I'm loving having them again. Hope to expand the flock through the year, as we live on a woodland campsite and I suspect visitors will like them (not as much as I do though)

One of the photos is them enjoying some butternut squash enrichment, which only took them a couple of hours to stop panicing about and then get on with eating!
Congratulations on your new ducks. Will you be able to let them out regularly when lockdown is over?

Any time I see my Runners I bring food; they come running every time they see me!

The problem at the moment is that they're young and still settling and also it's a bit of a faff getting into the run, as I have to stoop, because of the netting - it's all rather awkward, even if I do have food!

Congratulations on your new ducks. Will you be able to let them out regularly when lockdown is over?

Yes, I will be setting up a much larger run post avian flu lockdown, as we're in 15ac of woodland. It will include a proper bathing pool and they may even get to roam wider, although I'd be rather nervous about Mr Fox having too much cover to sneak in, if they're completely free-range.

The problem at the moment is that they're young and still settling and also it's a bit of a faff getting into the run, as I have to stoop, because of the netting - it's all rather awkward, even if I do have food!

Yes, I will be setting up a much larger run post avian flu lockdown, as we're in 15ac of woodland. It will include a proper bathing pool and they may even get to roam wider, although I'd be rather nervous about Mr Fox having too much cover to sneak in, if they're completely free-range.
I can definitely understand. I look forward to seeing more pics of them as they grow!

Hello from the Isle of Wight. We got six eight week old black(ish) runners a couple of weeks ago. They're in an enclosed run at the moment, because the UK is under avian flu lockdown.

Because our ground is so wet they're on a wooden 'raft' covered with woodchip, fenced and netted, with a home-built hut placed next to the outside bit.

They're not very friendly at the moment, but they're runners, so I was prepared for them to be nervous anyway. They are very good at putting themselves away at night, which is great.

We appear to have three drakes and three ducks, which is OK for now.

I last had runners about 20 years ago and I'm loving having them again. Hope to expand the flock through the year, as we live on a woodland campsite and I suspect visitors will like them (not as much as I do though)

One of the photos is them enjoying some butternut squash enrichment, which only took them a couple of hours to stop panicing about and then get on with eating!
They look class
Can I ask how the avain flu lockdown is i
enforced or is it just something ur expected to do
I'm not to far away from u all together (Ireland) and I hear about it all the time but never asked about it

The girls were brave today and did some exploring outside of their yard. They followed me out after chores and had fun looking for something to find.
389B97D8-53A8-41CF-8C5A-6CFA3A551BA9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom