Run suggestions?

sarahbeth827

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
We currently have a chicken coop and a duck hutch in our backyard. Since they have been together since birth and get along very well, we have decided to build a run between the 2 houses that will be about 8 feet long. My question is since we live in the pacific NW, should this run be covered to keep it dry? Also, any other suggestions for a simple run design would be helpful :)

By covered, I take it you mean with a solid roof, not just covered in wire??? If so, and you can do it, do it! I don't deal with tons of rain, but when it does rain (or snow in winter), I'm thankful that our runs have roofs. While the ducks might not mind the wet stuff, chickens aren't too fond of it, at least if it's more than a light spring rain.
The simplest design for covered runs IMO are less than 8 ft. wide (so they can be spanned with 2x4s). You can sink posts every 8 ft. on the length, and then frame between them w/press. treated 2x4s and add wire. Metal roofing is the simplest and very durable...

Yes, cover it. I live in the metro Atlanta area, where it gets plenty hot. I have about 400 Sq feet of covered run and my 29 Buffs spend almost all their time outside in the covered run. Its great for shade and when it rains, they love it. I used tin that I got for free from a friend of mine, but if you watch craig's list you can often find used tin priced reasonable.

Buffs Only

I would cover it. I originally had my run open with just chicken wire on top to deter hawks in our area. But everytime it rained the hens wouldn't go outside and were stuck inside the coop sometimes for hours. So then we put a tarp on half the run so they could at least get outside for a bit. But that held the water because there wasn't any pitch. Just this past week my husband and some of our family put a tin roof on the run, with a pitch of course. It rained like a monsoon today and I couldn't have been happier to look out the window and see my hens happily walking around the pen. I just felt bad that I didn't have him do it to begin with. Then all he would have had to do was drop one side a foot shorter than the other (to form the pitch) and put the tin up instead of wire. It was quite a lot of work to add the roof after.

If you can afford to, cover it. That being said, it cost us a small fortune to cover our 10'x20' run, but it's so worth it especially if you plan on spending time out there. I was advised to look up shed building designs when I was building mine, and to look up the snow load. We ended up using many more 2x6s than originally planned in the construction based on the snow load. Actually I had been hoping we'd get by with 2x4s but after some excellent advise from BYCers, we went with 2x6s and reduced the spacing of the purlins also. We used Suntuf roofing, and the only place we could buy it locally was Home Depot. We used some clear and some gray tinted and the stuff is amazing. You can buy cheaper stuff, but depending on your temps, snow load, sun damage... for me I'd rather build something once than have to re-do it. Then we bought a few cubic yards of sand.... the run is paradise now. Those chickens have no idea how good they have it...

Back
Top Bottom