Rotted log

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
I have looked and can't find an answer already written, but I admit I didn't look on all 392 pages
hide.gif
I have a couple of tree logs that are mostly rotted and I'm sure full of cool bugs, but wasn't sure if it would be dangerous to put in the pen. I was thinking it would provide insects as well as hours of entertainment getting to the insects. Does anyone know if this will hurt them?
idunno.gif

Sounds like a great idea! Really, I see no downside. I have a log in my run for them to jump up on. They like getting high.
cool.png

Last edited:
This sounds more like a job for woodpeckers. (Their beaks (not chicken beaks) are designed for this!) Still, I could see chickens scratching underneath the rotten logs for the bugs as well as roosting atop them and picking out snacks.

Don't have a rotted log but don't see a problem with it....my goal is when the firewood gets cut to get two or three good sized stumps to put in the runs...they DO love getting up high! The brooder aka a truck bed liner is still in the big run and all the chickens get up on it every morning to check out things outside thier run!

We can't get it out now that we put a top on it! So it stay and they have a up high place!

My birds free range in the forest.. They have very little grassy pasture, mostly forest floor. A log has to be pretty rotten for the birds to be able to work it good.. Once it is soft enough they will tear it apart. (Mine do wonders on old stumps and things.)
ON

Thanks for the answers, the log is very rotted, should be very easy to scratch at and tear up revealing many bugs. As far as toxic, it is just a log, have no idea what tree. I know it hasn't been sprayed w/ any chemicals at least in last 15 years (I am very allergic/asthma and our home/property is basically as chemical free as we can make it.)

Back
Top Bottom