Roosters are awesome

I love my 2 boys
Spring will take a piece of food from me and give it to one of the hens
Pearl Is a great protecter of the flock
We’ve had quite a few aggressive boys but these 2 are so sweet and get along great
Spring is the buff orpenton and pearl is the Brahma
IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

Roosters are my favorites. They are the gentlemen of gentlemen. They lead, they keep order in the flock, they warn the girls of threats, they protect with their life, and they don't eat food first - they give it to their hens and only eat if there is anything left. I make sure my three roosters get special treatments and time to show them how much I appreciate them.
I feel the same way about my roosters ... They're an asset to my homestead. They also sit with me and let me pick them up for scratches ... My hens aren't nearly as friendly?! 😅

This morning we raised the coop door, and walked back onto the porch. The girls stayed in the coop, my hubby says I’ll go lure them out. I said just wait. About 06:15 or so Rooster starts crowing out my girls came.
Wow! You're up at at them birds before 6:15 AM! It was 15:35 before I realized I'd not yet let them out. Course, they've a larger enclosure and, when I do let 'em out (they've their own rooster), they get their choice of some 20ac if they don't cross my property lines.

Over they years we have had some really mean roosters of different standard and bantam breeds. They were mighty tasty in Pot Pies. Right now we have two very gentle Speckled Sussex roosters, Boss Man and Mr White.
When customers would come to our farm to purchase livestock or eggs they would allow their children to run around. Because they are customers we tried to be nice when we asked them to corral their children. We don't like the kids getting into everything, after all it's a farm not a zoo. I found a way to stop the customers annoying children from running around and it works 100%. It is a metal "Beware of Rooster" sign!

Attachments

• 20240511_152631.jpg
    20240511_152631.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom