Rooster Probs--Hoarse crow, limping

kbmead

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Bainbridge Is., WA
We have a family of 10 chickens, mostly banties led by a 4-yr-old Rhode Island Red rooster (Buzz). He has always been the king, and since he is significantly larger than all the others, we allowed two of his sons to remain in the flock; the oldest is 1 year. Buzz has kept his boys in line nicely, and is a very nice-tempered roo.

Well, in the past couple of weeks, Buzz's crow has seemed to get hoarser and shorter. He also has seemed a little funny in his walk. Not really limping, but stepping very hard and seeming awkward. We hadn't taken much notice of these things, thinking it was perhaps age-related.

Two days ago, his oldest son, Pumpkin, attacked him. By the time we got there, Buzz had lost a lot of head feathers, very bloody comb, and one swollen eye. He also was MUCH more unsteady, having a hard time balancing, sitting down alot. We separated them, and Pumpkin is probably going to find a new home. Took Buzz to the vet yesterday (little silly taking a rooster to the vet!). She found nothing wrong with his legs and feet. Said it could be vitamin B deficiency, which can cause apraxia. Said other wounds would heal fine, and gave him a vit. B injection. He walked around the yard with his ladies all day yesterday, did pretty well. Still unsteady and occasionally stumbles, cannot negotiate stairs, crow still very feeble.

Any ideas? We think maybe Pumpkin attacked him because he was getting weak, and Pumpkin saw his chance. Any ideas on what caused his hoarse crow? Hopefully the Vitamin B will solve his unsteadiness.

I think you did the right thing, taking him to the vet. It's probably just the vitamin deficiency. It's odd how a lack of vit B can cause such problems in chickens! Leg problems, respiratory problems...
Good luck with Buzz.

Today I was looking at pictures and found a picture of Buzz from a year ago. He looked a lot slimmer then. I wonder if his problems are from weight gain? I thought chickens regulated their own food intake. We feed ours layer crumble, some scratch, veggie/fruit/bread scraps, and they go around the yard eating bugs, grass, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of an obese rooster? He weighed 7 lbs. at the vet. What's the normal weight for a Rhode Island Red, age 4?

Well, now it's almost a week since the attack. He's getting around, but still not as steady on his feet as he should be. So I don't know if the Vitamin B was really it. Crow is still hoarse. Doesn't seem like a breathing problem, though--more like an "old man" problem.

at 4 years old..he isn't an old man.
roos, if well fed and healthy can live as long as 15 years..maybe longer.
I don't think 7 ls. is too far out of the way for a RIR roo..
but I'd cut way back on any breads or corn scratch..scratch adds weight, and they don't need really need it in hot weather.
also, if giving kitchen scraps..be careful of the salt..

check your boy's crop..
at roost time..it should feel full..if not..he's not eating.
if full at roost time..re-check in the morning before he eats..it should be about empty and pretty flat.
check for lumps, grainy feeling, or any sour odor.
also how it feels compared with another chicken.
if you can..use a small flashlight and look in his mouth and throat for any whitish or yellowish sores or plaque..

does he seem bloated?
describe the droppings..color and consistency.

even tho the vet checked his legs and feet..
do go ahead and re-check the bottoms of his feet for any sore, scab, raised area, or heat.
also between the toes.
take a good look at his legs for raised scales or crust.
if nothing found..make up this mix..
amounts are for 1 day, divide into 3 feeds for the day..give for 5 days:
1 cooked egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon honey or unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
3-4 tablespoons water cooked oatmeal
layer feed enough to make the mix puffy, not soupy or gummy.

what bedding do you use?
the hoarseness could be from dusts and dander..or ammonia fumes.
has the coop been cleaned recently?
any lawn/garden chemicals used? any pesticides?
best way to hear any wheezing is to stand quietly near him..or go into the coop after roost..and listen.

keep in mind that not all vets are chicken experts..
something is causing him to limp..
could be Vitamin B deficiency..
you can help that by giving Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand if possible, no iron..give 2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week..then taper off for another week.
but since he had a B shot yesterday..wait a few days to start.

I would consider a small dab of VetRX rubbed on the roof of his mouth..
further..after checking everything I suggested..and not find anything..I'd consider trying Oxine..and even Tylan 50 injectable..
Tylan 50 is available at most farm/feed stores in the LIVESTOCK section..Oxine and the Tylan is available at:

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom