Rooster is looking extremely weak

ll44

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2022
Slovakia
I’m first time owner of small flock of 7,
I think my rooster might have coccidiosis.

My rooster is looking really weak lately, he’s not really lethargic but he looks very weak, he can barely support his weight, his legs are shaking, walks around like drunk, little confused and has very watery greenish brown diarrhoea sometimes with blood in it. My flock is currently treated for worms but rest of the flock doesn’t have such problems.

He still enjoys doing all rooster stuff minus dancing for his ladies.
He eats and drinks, his crows sounds little raspy. I think he might have coccidiosis but I’m not sure as it is my first flock and I’m inexperienced.

I really want to help him because he’s the best boy and he is really gentle and caring leader of the flock, seeing him like this is heartbreaking to me.

If you suspect coccidiosis, give him Corid asap. It won't hurt if it isn't coccidiosis, but the blood in the stool is a symptom. You can treat him directly or the whole flock.

When was the last time you wormed your flock?

How old is he? Was he vaccinated for anything as a chick? Corid is safe if coccidiosis is a concern. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, not eating, hunched or puffed up posture, and runny poops with mucus or some blood. Worming him with SafeGuard or Valbazen might help him as well. Watch for any sneeze, watery/bubbly eye, or eyelid swelling which could indicate a respiratory disease. Are you feeding him a balanced chicken feed? Supplementing him with a little scrambled egg or tuna might help. When a rooster becomes weakened, he might not be getting enough to eat or drink or being kept from food/water.

If you suspect coccidiosis, give him Corid asap. It won't hurt if it isn't coccidiosis, but the blood in the stool is a symptom. You can treat him directly or the whole flock.

When was the last time you wormed your flock?
To be completely honest I dewormed them for the first time two days ago, everyone told me they don’t need such thing even vet and people who had chickens for many many years, I suspect that’s because chickens in my country are seen just as livestock and they are meant to last for a two years max and no one really cares if they die, I see them as pets so it’s my bad I took advice from such people in first place

How old is he? Was he vaccinated for anything as a chick? Corid is safe if coccidiosis is a concern. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, not eating, hunched or puffed up posture, and runny poops with mucus or some blood. Worming him with SafeGuard or Valbazen might help him as well. Watch for any sneeze, watery/bubbly eye, or eyelid swelling which could indicate a respiratory disease. Are you feeding him a balanced chicken feed? Supplementing him with a little scrambled egg or tuna might help. When a rooster becomes weakened, he might not be getting enough to eat or drink or being kept from food/water.
I’m keeping eye on him as much as I can and I see him eating and drinking a lot but it seems to me like it goes almost instantly out anyway because the poop has texture of what he’a eating.

I got him from someone and he is about two years old and was never vaccinated as this isn’t a thing in my country unfortunately.
I’m trying to feed them balanced food, they have all the treats they can and some leftovers from kitchen, they are free ranging for the first time since two weeks ago.

Also he was sick a while ago and had similar symptoms minus the bloody diarrhoeas but plus foamy eye which was swollen so much it was basically closed. Back then vet gave him antibiotics and selenium + vitamin E and he went back to normal in a week.

He also appears to start molting around his head and I’ve read that their immunity is somewhat compromised at that time.

I’m keeping eye on him as much as I can and I see him eating and drinking a lot but it seems to me like it goes almost instantly out anyway because the poop has texture of what he’a eating.

I got him from someone and he is about two years old and was never vaccinated as this isn’t a thing in my country unfortunately.
I’m trying to feed them balanced food, they have all the treats they can and some leftovers from kitchen, they are free ranging for the first time since two weeks ago.

Also he was sick a while ago and had similar symptoms minus the bloody diarrhoeas but plus foamy eye which was swollen so much it was basically closed. Back then vet gave him antibiotics and selenium + vitamin E and he went back to normal in a week.

He also appears to start molting around his head and I’ve read that their immunity is somewhat compromised at that time.
Be sure to give Corid. Asap. Coccidiosis is no joke.

Amprollium is the generic name for Corid. Coxoid or Amprol are other brand names. You may also use sulfadimethoxine, or other sulfa antibiotic, as well as Toltrazuril (Baycox.) Those are all effective against coccidiosis. What country are you located? We have BYC members from all over the world, and could suggest someone there to help you find medications.

Amprollium is the generic name for Corid. Coxoid or Amprol are other brand names. You may also use sulfadimethoxine, or other sulfa antibiotic, as well as Toltrazuril (Baycox.) Those are all effective against coccidiosis. What country are you located? We have BYC members from all over the world, and could suggest someone there to help you find medications.
I’m from Slovakia, im just afraid he won’t make it till it arrives, is there something I might have readily at home to relieve?

Back
Top Bottom