Rooster Attacked - Has swollen head, eyes closed, pushes backwards.

FluffyButts11

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
Last weekend my silkie coop was attacked by something that took their heads off with no blood - sucked the blood, whatever it was had to be small and it figured out how to unlatch the nest box, so depressing and sad, nine little angles gone!! i now have triple safety locks on all the doors.

My pekin ducks made it but one has bad bite marks on his beak. One silkie was untouched thank god. One of my rooster silkies is alive but barely, i think his comb was bitten off and maybe he got bit in the eye but i dont know. His head was swollen bad and his eyes completely shut, i dont see any bite marks anywhere else on him. He cannot see so he cannot drink and eat on his own, but his spirit is there.

I want to take him to the vet of course, but it will no doubt cost me 400+, which i cant afford right now. I took one of my silkie hens to the vet for a prolapsed vet and it was 400 for purse string sutures and some meds, now she is gone :(, i live in CT and avian vet care is costly, there are no farm vets in my county.

My treatment has been regular water, some soaked crumble i have to force feed, then some prednisone pills crushed with some tetracycline, electrolytes mixed in a little water. I take turns giving him all three by syringe twice a day. In the morning i give him some pain medicine that i have left over from my avian vet. For his eyes i put Neosporin on the bad infected looking one and then i put my dogs antibacterial eye medicine on his eyes.

He has improved a little but one of his eyes seems like it might of have been injured, the other is starting to slightly open and the swelling has gone down some. He keeps pushing his legs forward so he goes backwards only - i dont understand this, does anyone? He also spreads his wings out fast, and makes a head bobbing motion. Can he survive on just the little im giving him a day? Should i give him a different antibiotic? What should I do for the eye? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If he starts going downhill or looks worse I will take him to the vet, I hope I can do this on my own.

THANK YOU

Last edited:
Today he is doing better, his eyes look better thanks to the dog eye ointment. He even crowed!!! i had to stretch his legs because they seems stiff from pushing backwards all the time. Now i just have to make sure he eats and drinks on his own, until then i will continue force feeding him the soft food.

I don't think I would give him prednisone pills without consulting your vet. They can cause a bunch of bad side effects including inability to fight off infections. He sounds as though he could have had a head injury. Do you suspect wry neck? Prednisone is sometimes used for that along with Vitamins B, E, and selenium.It sounds like your predator might have been a weasel, mink, or maybe a raccoon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom