Mandyweaver

Chirping
Aug 12, 2018
cumming ga
My Roo is nearly 10 years old and i would like to offer him a little help by clipping/ trimming his spurs. He has slowed down quite a bit and seems to struggle walking as he is tripping himself up. Just wondering if anyone in/near Cumming GA with experience would donate some time to me to teach me how to do it or walk me through the process?

Last edited:
I'm too far away to help and there are different ways to clip the spurs. Some people use dog nail clippers. I use a Dremel tool with one of those discs you use to cut metal. You have a good reason to trim those spurs.

The quick does not grow all the way to the end of the spur. It grows differently in different roosters. Usually you are real safe if you only take off 1/4 of the length, a lot of the time You can take 1/3 off without issues. With some spurs you can see the quick in the spur but usually you cannot. Have some flour handy in case you do get some bleeding but it is not that big if a deal if you do. I've drawn blood before and the rooster didn't even flinch. And the bleeding usually stops on its own pretty quickly but have flour handy.

If you can get someone to help that would be great but I do it on my own. I wrap the rooster around the wings and body with a large towel, you can use a blanket. I do not cover the head but you can if you wish. I lay him on his back and he normally remains really calm. I hold onto the legs and carefully clip the spur off, it is really quick. Then I turn him loose with his flock. Mine typically immediately mate with a hen to say I'm back and I'm still the boss. Does not seem to bother them.

I wish you luck in getting someone nearby to help. If you can, you might edit this thread title to include your location to to attract local people. Or if you can find your state thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" you might chat with your neighbors. It's something you can do yourself but it really helps your self confidence if you have help the first time.

I'm too far away to help and there are different ways to clip the spurs. Some people use dog nail clippers. I use a Dremel tool with one of those discs you use to cut metal. You have a good reason to trim those spurs.

The quick does not grow all the way to the end of the spur. It grows differently in different roosters. Usually you are real safe if you only take off 1/4 of the length, a lot of the time You can take 1/3 off without issues. With some spurs you can see the quick in the spur but usually you cannot. Have some flour handy in case you do get some bleeding but it is not that big if a deal if you do. I've drawn blood before and the rooster didn't even flinch. And the bleeding usually stops on its own pretty quickly but have flour handy.

If you can get someone to help that would be great but I do it on my own. I wrap the rooster around the wings and body with a large towel, you can use a blanket. I do not cover the head but you can if you wish. I lay him on his back and he normally remains really calm. I hold onto the legs and carefully clip the spur off, it is really quick. Then I turn him loose with his flock. Mine typically immediately mate with a hen to say I'm back and I'm still the boss. Does not seem to bother them.

I wish you luck in getting someone nearby to help. If you can, you might edit this thread title to include your location to to attract local people. Or if you can find your state thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" you might chat with your neighbors. It's something you can do yourself but it really helps your self confidence if you have help the first time.

Thanks a bunch. I will keep your pointers in mind. Hopefully i will have someone with experience to come but if i don't i will most likely try it myself. The only reason im a bit nervous is he is quite old and i want the less stress possible as he has been a good Roo to my hens and since he had been wild for years before i first got hens i want to make sure he gets treated right.

Here’s a great video on removing the outer sheath of the spur. You might not even need a helper!

i am not sure im brave enough as a first timer. with my luck something will go wrong. thanks for the video i got a good laugh watching my hubby's eyes get big watching that. lol

i am not sure im brave enough as a first timer. with my luck something will go wrong. thanks for the video i got a good laugh watching my hubby's eyes get big watching that. lol
Lol. My husband would faint.
They really do pop right off with a twist though but can also be trimmed safely with a dog nail clipper. Just be sure to not go too short too fast because of the potential for bleeding.

Lol. My husband would faint.
They really do pop right off with a twist though but can also be trimmed safely with a dog nail clipper. Just be sure to not go too short too fast because of the potential for bleeding.

i think i will see if anyone can assist but if i cannot find anyone i will most likely try with a dremel. His spurs are impressive as he is an old originally wild gamefowl who adopted us when he found my hens. He trusts us and i wouldnt want to injure him and break the trust we built.

You can use a grinder it does not bleed and the spurs are like a finger nail they dont have any feeling the grinder actually burns the spurs and they won't grow back so fast

Back
Top Bottom