Roll Away Nesting Boxes

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
Hello, my pullets are 10 weeks and I want to start having an idea of what nesting boxes they should have. I am not sure if I should buy a roll-out nest box or the typical wall-mount nesting box. How do roll-out nesting boxes work? Can I not collect eggs for two days with the rollout ones? Are the roll-out nesting boxes more comfortable? Do the roll-out ones need bedding? I don't know much about nesting boxes so I need help.
Thanks

Hello, my pullets are 10 weeks and I want to start having an idea of what nesting boxes they should have. I am not sure if I should buy a roll-out nest box or the typical wall-mount nesting box. How do roll-out nesting boxes work? Can I not collect eggs for two days with the rollout ones? Are the roll-out nesting boxes more comfortable? Do the roll-out ones need bedding? I don't know much about nesting boxes so I need help.
Thanks
I down like roll out boxes. I used them because my hens had an egg eating problem when they were recovering from a protein deficiency. You really don't need them unless you end up with a hen with a bad habit, but as long as you have the appropriate sized coop/nest boxes, and at least 20% protein in your feed, you should be fine.

The nest boxes work by being slanted. When they lay an egg, it rolls down the slanted side into a cup on the other end. There is a block were the hen can't get to the egg, but you can still grab it. So no, you can collect the eggs the same day they are laid.
I definitely don't think they are more comfortable. I put bedding in mine, and all the bedding slid down into the egg cup, keeping the egg from being able to roll out which then ruined the whole point of the box. Then without bedding, its just a plastic box which isn't comfortable at all.

Roll-out nests are intended more for egg-production setups than for backyard chicken hobbyists. They make it convenient to collect the eggs and prevent hens using the same box from breaking/soiling the previously-laid eggs.

But in solving one set of problems they have their own set of problems -- including hens refusing to use them because they don't have bedding to make a nice nest in.

The correct choice depends on your conditions, your intentions, and your specific flock. :)

I have traditional nests. I intend to put traditional nests in my new coop. But I would not rule-out using roll-out nests if my chicken-keeping conditions change.

As for not collecting eggs for 2 days ...

If you have to do that because of your schedule or other considerations then roll-out is probably better than having eggs pile up in the nests to be broken/soiled. But not collecting eggs risks problems due to either heat or cold -- loss of quality and shelf life or frozen eggs.

Many keepers use them with great success.
They do have some considerations to deal with,
but those are manageable with knowledge and patience.
I have not had the need to use them.

Back
Top Bottom