Roadrunner chicks- Can I buy Eggs or breeding pairs?

jearl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I was in Death Valley about 10 years ago. There were several Roadrunners on the golfcourse there.
My question is does anybody raise Roadrunners? Do they make good caged birds or pets?

Jeff

99% sure that's illegal in the US. Most native wild bird species are protected even if they are common and cannot be kept as pets. Quail are one of the very few exceptions.

Correct. However if you are fortunate enough to live in an area that has roadrunners, they are very curious and tameable birds. I used to have them come to my sliding glass door and I would throw raw hamburger for them. I had a couple generations of them that would come around. They will sneak up behind you and within a couple feet they will start their tocking sound. To cute. Then the dogs started chasing them off.
sad.png
They won't come around anymore.

I live out in the country in an area where there are a lot of rattlesnakes...especially now that it is Spring. I have seen maybe two roadrunners out here but would love to have more. I have a five year old daughter, so this time of the year causes a lot of tension for everyone when she is outside running around.

Is there a place I can buy Roadrunner birds or eggs and raise them to keep them on our ranch? If you have ANY information...websites, phone numbers, etc. I would be SO appreciative and you would be substantially compensated for your help. Please let me know if you can help us!

As mentioned above, if you live in a state where they are native they are illegal to possess which is different then actually owning one as a pet which is also illegal. As far as I know no one raises them for any reason, pet or snake control. Your only option would be to join a wild life rescue and specialize in native birds then if you are lucky enough to get one as a rehab animal. There is a training course you will have to take and you are forbidden to tame the animals down, something which will get you removed from the rescue group if you get caught doing. There are penalties for keeping them which include warnings or probation for first offences to fines and possibly (I would guess very rarely) a short jail term for multiple repeat offenders.

Last edited:
Roadrunners are native birds in the USA and you may not legally posses, harass (etc etc) a roadrunner or its eggs. This is a federal law as these birds are protected under the MBTA of 1918. It is heavily enforced and is punishable by jail time and up to $10,000 in fines.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, sorry!

I just wanted to know if there are very many Roadrunners in Cali .... Born and raised here I never saw one here until last weekend we were on a motorcycle ride coming out of Box Canyon to the Valley and OMG we saw a Roadrunner for the first time in Cali !!!!! Seen them in Arizona but never here ! Are there Roadrunners in Simi Valley or anywhere else ?? Wish there was a way to add to the low population !!

i know how it feels to want a bird you cant have cause of the migratory bird law , one i really wanted was the loggerhead shrike they are pretty amazing birds and so are road runners

If you have seen them in your area then you could do things to help the population grow.

Research on the internet what habitat, feed, nesting places they like.

Then on you property make sure all that is there for them... perhaps build nest boxes or nesting places, if they like short vegetation cut back bushes and long grass. Make sure you don't have dogs or cats to disturb them and scare them away. Maybe put out food for them.. like live insects, raw meat, or commercial food for insect eating birds.

Put out a bird bath on the ground.. or some other water like a pool or pond.

If you get the conditions right they should move in and have chicks and stay living on your land.

Back
Top Bottom