Ring neck x melanistic mutant

I got ten ringneck pheasants but half of them didn’t make it... they weren’t Healthy from the start, then I got 6 melanistic pheasants and all made it, I was wandering if I don’t end up with a male and female ringneck could I breed a ringneck to a melanistic, if I would still get ringneck looking chicks

I got ten ringneck pheasants but half of them didn’t make it... they weren’t Healthy from the start, then I got 6 melanistic pheasants and all made it, I was wandering if I don’t end up with a male and female ringneck could I breed a ringneck to a melanistic, if I would still get ringneck looking chicks

Attachments

• 20230410_082507.jpg
    20230410_082507.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
This is a melanistic/ringneck cross.
Phasianus colchicus mut.tenebrosus is a 'true' mutation, natures own and not a result of crossbreeding.
They are all melanistic birds, whether it's Black, Blue or Green variations.

The first specimen was reported in 1888, in the wild on Lord Rothschild's estate. It has been captive-reared from that time forward and all feral populations being derivatives of released birds for hunting.
There is much controversy over this bird as to whether it's a true mutation in a restrictive population between Phasianus colchicus and Phasianus colchicus versicolor in the Japanese archipelago or whether the mutation occured in Europe after importation, thus, having been influenced by selective breeding in Europe.

Reciprocal F1 crosses, F2 and back crosses between Pc. and Pc. tenebrosus show that the melanistic phenotype is the result of a single incompletely dominant autosomal gene, which results in the F2 generation of melanistic birds showing intermediate traits but none showing complete extension of black plumage. Backcrosses to the dominate melanistic gene birds concluded that there is a single major gene that differentiates the melanistic from the ring-necked, but maximum expression of the melanistic gene depends on modifying genes that apperantly accumulate in melanistics due to selective breeding.

This is the long answer to your question, the short version is, you will get varying degrees of melanistic phenotypes, some will show more ring-necked traits, while others will have more melanistic traits with the majority having the melanistic phenotype.
The results is exactly what I have said in the previous post!

Back
Top Bottom