Rice Holistic Garden Intro!

Jul 30, 2022
Hey BYC Community,

We are members of the Rice University's Holistic Garden and we currently have a flock of 9 chickens.
  • There are 4 older chickens: 3 hens and 1 rooster. 7 hens were provided with the establishment of the flock in early 2020 along with 1 rooster later. Unfortunately, some hens have passed away, and we now have 3 remaining. One of the hens is currently raising 1 cockerel.
    • We were not involved in the garden back then, so we are not entirely familiar with their breeds. We do know one is a Frizzle chicken, aptly named "Mrs. Frizzle" (she is the one with the presumed cockerel, who is now over 7 weeks old).
      • In the Older Chickens image:
        • The red hen front and center was Henrietta, and she was the sweetest and most lovable chicken, and unfortunately is no longer with us.
        • The black hen closest to Henrietta with the red comb and wattle is Regina.
        • The black hen with the black comb and wattle behind Regina is Karen.
        • The rooster in the back is Big Red.
  • There are 4 younger hens. We incubated and successfully hatched 7 chickens in early March. They are currently 21 weeks old and 1 hen laid her first egg in the past few days!
    • 3 are cockerels, and we unfortunately could not keep them and had to give them away. These 3 are thought to be 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Easter Egger.
      • The Rhode Island Red is Harriet, and he is quite girthy.
      • The Black Australorp is Dinosaur.
      • The Easter Egger is Carrot, and we thought he was a pullet for the longest time.
        • They were given to Wabash, and Harriet and Carrot went to the same loving home!
    • 4 are pullets. These 4 are thought to be 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Delaware, and 1 Gold Sex-Link.
      • In the Younger Hens image, the Rhode Island Red is Dorothy, the Black Australorp is Cricket, the Delaware is Grommit, and the Gold Sex-Link is Squeeble.
Some of our favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens include bonding with them and letting them out to graze in the weeds (and sometimes having to corral them back into the coop, haha). We also love taking care of them and giving them fresh vegetables and melons! We do not have a ton of experience with chickens (beyond caring and raising for the younger chickens), but we love our chickens deeply. We are recent graduates from Rice, and are looking forward to our future endeavors, which potentially include medical school and graduate school. Besides raising and caring for these chickens, we love gardening at the garden, and one of my personal favorites was harvesting melons in the melon patch.

We initially found BYC as a resource to care for our chickens as well as to help identify their breeds.

Attached below are pictures of the flock (with their names)!

We hope to be involved in this community and share the joys of our chickens!

Attachments

• Mrs. Frizzle and her child.jpg
    Mrs. Frizzle and her child.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Younger Hens.jpg
    Younger Hens.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Older Chickens.jpg
    Older Chickens.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Harriet.jpg
    Harriet.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Dinosaur.jpg
    Dinosaur.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Carrot.jpg
    Carrot.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 1
Glad to meet you. What an interesting project for a school. Those are beautiful birds, but I think I am in love with Carrot!
Haha, it's funny you mention that because we raised the baby chicks in our dorms! Carrot definitely worked his way in my heart too, we were saddened when the cockerels were relocated (as it was a decision out of control). In the future I hope to visit the new family Carrot and Harriet are residing with!

Back
Top Bottom