Rhode Island Reds Roosters or Hens?

Rockland Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Connecticut
Are our 2 Rhode island reds roosters or hens? We haven't caught either of them crowing, but they are 13 weeks old. We have 8 chickens all together, and we have heard some crowing but we don't know exactly who it is coming from. Please give us your opinions! (They both look exactly the same, and we can't really tell them apart)

37604_chickens_13_weeks_030.jpg

37604_chickens_13_weeks_050.jpg

I'm in the same boat. I started out with 11 RIR's total, the hatchery said I had 1 roo and 10 hens. The one roo was definitely male because he was much larger than all the others. I had a group of wild dogs attack my flock one morning and wiped 7 off the map. Killed Carl (rooster) and 6 hens. So now I am down to 4. They all look like hens, but no eggs yet. I'm on week 22 right now and was hoping to see something. No crowing, no tail feathers that would suggest rooster, Carl had huge green tail feathers. I want another rooster so I can breed, but after seeing all the pics posted so far, makes me curious as to what I have. I can post pics later this evening once I get home

Back
Top Bottom