Relative humidity

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Hey,

So, I have done a few hatches, but I keep seeing different numbers when it comes to humidity. Now, I am going to look at the air cells, but how do you calculate the humidity levels (ballpark) for a particular location since there are widely varying humidities. Do you take normal room humidity and add a number on or is this a trial and error type situation?

Thanks

You can measure it directly using a hygrometer, which you can purchase pretty cheaply. I understand you can also make one from a thermometer; there's an article on here somewhere that I can try to look up if you're interested.

Note that higher altitudes do slightly better with a higher humidity, due to the thinness of the air, and lower altitudes do a tiny bit better with a lower humidity.

Thanks for the reply.

What humidity works well will depend on the ambient humidity, won't it?

What humidity works well will depend on the ambient humidity, won't it?

How it that so? Which humidity works well should depend on only the altitude and speed of air circulation in the incubator.

Do you take normal room humidity and add a number on or is this a trial and error type situation?

Currently my hygrometer is broken but I can roughly estimate my humidity, using the concept of dew point temperature. The idea is dew point temperature is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air, thus the same air in the room, when warmed up in the incubator, will retain the same amount of moisture. I can then deduce the humidity of air inside the incubator using this table...

Dew-Point-Graphic.jpg

For example, if your room is 75 F and 75% humidity, the dew point is 66 F. When you warm that air with that dew point in the incubator to 100 F, you arrive at 35% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom