Registered Olde English Babydoll Southdown Sheep

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
Anyone raise them? Although I never think of my animals as a job, I was wondering if they are profitable. They are adorable, and I have found about 20 breeders in Ohio alone. They are expensive, the ones I have seen are between $250-$750 for lambs. But is there really return and are they easy to market? How do you market them? In our area, a point of lay pullet goes fro $3-$4 and you can buy a cute little lamb at an auction for $20. Would this be a good investment for me? I raise Alpine goats, but I just don't think they are my calling. There is the problem of excess bucklings, where as I saw people selling babydoll southdown wether lambs for $300 for pets. Unbelievable. And I would much rather shear sheep once a year and earn to spin, which is something I really want to do, then milk a bunch of goats year round and be over loaded with milk I don't know what to do with. Also, how much do they weigh, how many pounds of wool do you get a year, and how much does a spinning wheel cost? I just think they are absolutely adorable and would love to have some. Everybody I know doesn't support me on expensive livestock. It drives me crazy. I offered a weanling registered alpine doe kid, who would have been a great milker [gallon a day] for $150-$200 and they thought I lost my mind.
Ashlyn

I was looking into them also... and saw the prices they fetch. Am wondering the same thing..... do people actually get buyers for these darlings or is it more a labor of love?
wink.png
Which..... I wouldn't mind as I also want spinning and felting wool. I think a lot of it has to do with location. Some animals seem to be much higher in demand in some parts of the country.

Spinning wheels are SPENDY!Like you can't get one under $150. However, you can get a drop spindle for 10-20 bucks. Drop spindles are fine, but it's hard to do large quantities. also, you have to stand up.

I hate to burst your bubble but they may not be a profitable venture where you live. You live in a state that already has 20 breeders but someone just looking for a lamb can get one for $20.Also my understanding is they are not the best for wool.Come to New hampshire.Point of lay pullets go for $10-$15, A lamb goes for $80-$100 and there is only 2 registered breeders(one sold her flock recently so I guess there is only one). I recently got a set of unregistered twins I LOVE THEM! I have looked into raising and breeding registered babydolls but the start of cost is not in my budget this year. Hopefully next year.

they are not the best for wool????

from the research i ahve done there wool is fantastic because it ahs the most barbs per inch of any wool and it makes the best mixing wool, like with angora, or alpaca and because of the barbs it mixes well with shorter hairs. am i wrong? please correct me because i was lookig into these sheep for my sisters spinning wheel and loom...

I really don't know what to do. I have the money for a small flock, but is the demand that high? And, do any of you know of a good web design company so I could have a website if I get these. They are all like $1000.
Ashlyn

There is a market for babydolls, but you would need knowledge and some background to hit that market. Good spinning wheels start at 250.00 for a used wheel and anything that you find cheaper is probably not that good of investment.

Back
Top Bottom