Red/yellow/black lesions in mouth, lethargy, wheezing, one eye shut, foam in mouth - RAPID ONSET - p

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
PLEASE help, please please please!

Skye is a silver spangled spitzhauben purchased from ideal poultry May 5th, 2010, making her only 2 years old.

I just walked out for an evening treat feeding to find Skye not present - HIGHLY unusual considering she leads the pack screaming with Pumpkin (faverolle) and Holly (sussex), her two best and older friends. I was terrified, I knew she just had to be dead or seriously ill, not welcoming me to the chickenhouse. I found her underneath in the "spa", hunched over, picking her head up then lowering it again, like she was sleepy. It was obvious her breathing was a little labored, but not gasping for air. I knew something was wrong, took her inside, immediately give her 1/2cc of Tylan 50 injectable orally. Afterwards, she tried to talk to me, but it was gargled. Holding her up to my ear, her heartbeat was faster than normal, and I could hear some rattling. I looked in her mouth - horrified to see some sort of lesion, yellow in main color, with black dots on her right side, large enough to displace her tongue. Where the lesion stopped, the healthy tissue was extremely red/irritated but not swollen. Her breath STINKS and there is some sort of foam in the back of her mouth, but she doesn't appear to be inhaling it. The eye on that side isn't swollen, but she is keeping it shut. Her pupils are dilated but eyes are clear. I have her in the bathroom, where it's dark. Her comb/wattles are bright red but she's in what I've come to call the "death position" - her tail is drooped.

ETA 8:23 -6 time, she appears to be having extreme difficulty breathing, sneezing up to three times in a row, gasping for breath. Airway sounds restricted by something, what I have no clue.

Only 5 days ago, the alpha hen, Tau'i passed from suspected internal laying/ovarian cancer (thanks, speckledhen)- she was 7 years old. However, no other birds showed any signs of illness. I noticed after burying Tau'i and finishing her footprint baking that when sky come out, she didn't talk. This is really odd but nothing else was off; color was good, she looked normal, acted normal, had been eating and drinking, ate some watermelon, and had been laying normally. So 90% completely normal, then the same way yesterday. This has happened TODAY.

They're kept in a well ventilated coop with a fan on 24/7 to help cool them off, well over 3sq feet of space per bird, free range of layer pellets and water, straw in the coop, fed treats quite often - nothing rotten.

No birds have been introduced into the flock since her bunch was put in. We do have growing keets, but they are kept away from the chooks in a separate house and do not free range on the birds land. I don't handle the keets or their feeders at ALL - and I am the primary caretaker of the chooks, so far as I know, nobody has handled the keets then the birds directly. They were brought on the property a week ago.

ETA: All other birds are behaving completely normal. No signs of illness whatsoever. Combs are red, laying is normal, so is food/water intake.

Last edited:
Do a search on sour crop and see if you think that's it. The foamy liquid comming up and the smell sounds like sour crop. For sour crop give 2 tablespoons organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a plastic gallon waterer. Changed daily.

Quick thinking with the antibiotic. She looks terrible. Now the lesions in the mouth, I wonder if that's the wet fowl pox? The gurgling is also disturbing. How is her crop? Is she paralyzed like? I was wondering about botulism because of sudden onset. There may be more than one thing going on here. Red Alert!!!

You will want to separate her for 24 hours no food only the ACV water. Day two add plain yogurt. Day three add plain scrambled egg to the yogurt. Each day massage the crop several times each day pushing towards the back of the crop, not upwards. Day three you can add some sloppy oatmeal to yogurt and eggs but no grains. I would not make her throw up that can kill them.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Look at the first table under pox. It lists rattling and railing. It says no treatment but I'd keep up with the antibiotics like you are doing. The other thing, I noticed she has a blue tinge on her face. Several diseases in that table fall under that category. Just something to be aware of. I think I've read here where people will clean the sores with a q-tip (don't know what to put on the q-tip if anything). I suppose if there's rattling and railing that the blue tinge could be related to respiratory distress from pox. However, there may be more than one thing going on.

Suzierd, this is definitely not sour crop. I've dealt with crop stasis/sour crop, both recurring, in one hen (her friend, the Sussex which is doing well) and the treatment literally spanned 3 months if I remember correctly the winter before last. Just making her empty the crop and slowing reintroducing food with chlorhexidine given orally, I remember, it was an every day chore that we both hated! This foul breath definitely doesn't have the same smell, though a huge thank you for the input. Her crop is empty, completely, save the Tylan we gave her and a little bit of water we forced.

chkn, she is definitely not paralyzed. When she was underneathe the coop, I struggled to get to her - managed to grab a foot, and even though I'd been talking and begging her to come over and see me the whole time, when I grabbed it she yanked it free and ran out into the run. She also walked around in the kitchen but was completely uninterested in the oats/corn I offered, which is bad, I know, because she loves oats. I don't think it's Mareks, there's no apparent nerve damage/loss. I've never heard of either of the other two, I'll look into it. Yes - unfortunately, I have learned that there is usually more than one problem when you go to treat any animal!

ETA: She wasn't lame either.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking wet fowl pox. If there's an antiseptic you can use internally, you could swap the sores with a que tip. It sounds like you know what you're doing. I haven't scored well on crop issues. I'd keep up the antibiotics. Some of the other diseases list sulfa drugs. I wonder if Sulmet would be something to think about too (fowl cholera was one). Anyway, swabbing and antibiotic. You might want to search around here on the topic of wet fowl pox, symptoms, treatment, outcomes.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Look at the first table under pox. It lists rattling and railing. It says no treatment but I'd keep up with the antibiotics like you are doing. The other thing, I noticed she has a blue tinge on her face. Several diseases in that table fall under that category. Just something to be aware of. I think I've read here where people will clean the sores with a q-tip (don't know what to put on the q-tip if anything). I suppose if there's rattling and railing that the blue tinge could be related to respiratory distress from pox. However, there may be more than one thing going on.
Looking over the table, the problem with any listed for the blueness is that there isn't any facial swelling or head twisting. :\

Back
Top Bottom