Red Stars vs. Black Stars

My black sex links have always been the egg laying MACHINES... I had one that didn't miss a day for over 3 months!

I have a little BWA X BSL that I'm hoping will lay green eggs and OFTEN... just like her mama.

I have one Black Star that is 5 years old and lays an egg every day. Once every 2 weeks she'll take a couple of days off in a row, then start laying again. My other Black Star and 2 Red Stars are just over one year old and are superb egg layers. Both Black Stars are friendly and docile whereas the Red Stars tend to pick and peck at others, act like bullies, except with the top 4 hens. All my hens were purchased from Meyer Hatchery except the Hamburgs, they were purchased from MPC.

I have five red sex-links. Three are just getting past the pullet stage, but the other two are a bit older and laying like crazy. The older girls are easy to pick up and tolerate being moved and carried very well. I am sure the others will settle as well....they run around like little dinosaurs at the moment compared to the hens. I didn't didn't have any of these sex-links from hatchlings as I did my LB roo (he is so sweet!), but they are very nice for the most part. I would take more of them and would love a couple of the blacks. Mine and most any around here are from Townline Hatchery. I got these started chicks and two hens from a good friend who has been getting red sex-links for a while now....he is very pleased with the egg production from them!

Would love to hear everyone's experiences with Red Stars and Black Stars - I'm sure they're all different, since they can be made many different ways. But I've found it interesting to see how mine (from McMurray, hatched 4/2/2010 and hand raised) have turned out and am wondering if any of you have similar observations?

My Red Stars (Tikka and Tandoori) were the 2nd and 3rd of my 13 chickens to start laying. They lay virtually every day (I think they have taken 1 or 2 days off since they started laying 3 weeks ago!). Also, the eggs were nearly the size of storebought from the start, and a beautiful dark brown. Every egg from them has been perfect. They are very quiet when they lay, and don't make a lot of noise in general. These 2 girls have become really sweet since they started squatting, and really enjoy being handled. They will squat repeatedly when I'm out there and have been known to peck at people if we're not paying enough attention to them.

My Black Stars (Sesame and Kung Pao) are a little different. They are LOUD and constantly make a racket when I'm out there, and they sing the egg song a lot for the other chickens. They have also been extremely friendly and demanding since they started squatting, but aren't as sweet as the Reds. They've been squatting for weeks now, but I only get 1-2 eggs a week from Kung Pao, and I'm pretty sure Sesame isn't laying yet although I've caught her practicing in the nest boxes. I'm getting occasional double yolkers and floor eggs that look like the ones Kung Pao has been laying, too. Her eggs are much smaller, about 2/3 the size as the Red Stars'.

How do your sexlinks from McMurray/other places stack up? Have you seen the same thing? I do love my BSLs, but at this point I'd trade them in for a couple more Reds in a heartbeat!
smile.png
Hi there! I know this is an older post but I’m glad I found it. I have both Red and Black Stars. My Red Stars I got last March ‘22 and their eggs were up to very large in no time. The Black Stars that have now been laying for two months, their are still small. How did your Black Stars turn out and what size did they lay? I’m just wondering if they take longer. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom