Red Domineckers,

There is a lot of inaccuracies in the above posts. Can't go into all of them now but will cover the major points.

I am Mark Fields, I wrote the book on the Dominiques. There are or more accurately "were" no red Dominiques. If someone created them recently this is the first I've heard of them. It wouldn't be hard to do as the silver/gold genetics has been understood for a long time.

The Whites are a direct result of inbreeding and go back to when Robert Henderson crossed on a white game hen to reinvigorate his Dominique flock back in the 70s.

Dominique isn't used to describe the pattern. It's known as a "cuckoo" pattern. However, that being said a lot of lay peope call anything with barring as "dominickers" or "domineckers".

Back to the reds. The quickest way to get a red Dominique would be to start with a Buff bird. Starting with a Rhode Island Red will give you some interesting results because of the underlying Columbian pattern. I suspect a Buckeye will do the same. I'm not interested in creating new varieties so haven't given it much thought.

Mark
Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

Dominique isn't used to describe the pattern. It's known as a "cuckoo" pattern. However, that being said a lot of lay peope call anything with barring as "dominickers" or "domineckers".

Mark
If Dominique is not a term used to describe a pattern then why are there so many Game Breeds that use the term to describe a color and or pattern?
The term Dominique and Dom has been around far longer than the Dominique breed.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom